Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I wanta be an Engineer for a day.

August 19, 2000 05:40PM
I think that everyone that seriously wants to participate in a Engineer or Fireman (or both) program should mark up here. By "seriously" I'm talking $300 to $500 (these amounts are really just a guess) per trainee. I (and no doubt others) am curious as to how many of us would "for real" part with our cash for the chance to run an engine. I'd give ten bucks just to play with the whistle for a couple of minutes.
I want the Railroad to provide all that is necessary for the program and I want it to make a profit. OK, I know it's a non profit operation but it has to pay it's way. If one can truly rent a train for 3 grand a day (more or less) it follows that if ten (5 firemen and 5 engineers) of us sign up for the day at 300 bucks a piece (more or less) the railroad should be able to train us at no cost to the railroad. The train does not have to be long and it does not have to run the length of the line so it should cost the railroad less to operate. I'm not trying to set any prices because I have no knowledge of what is really needed to clear an operation like this but I would sure plunk down some cash for the opportunity to spend a couple hours playing engineer.
As a matter of fact I would like to run the "idiot stick" and learn the Fireman's job as well but I'm not sure I am physically able to do it. If the Fireman/Trainer would agree that he might have to bale a large part of the coal while I stand back, pant and sweat then I would mark up for both sides of the cab.
I don't want anyone's job I just want to run a "for real" steam locomotive (and blow the whistle).
~Hoss
Subject Author Posted

I wanta be an Engineer for a day.

Hoss August 19, 2000 05:40PM

Me. too!!!

Towne Comee August 20, 2000 11:00AM

Re: Me. too!!!

Tom Stewart August 21, 2000 10:28AM

Re: I wanta be an Engineer for a day.

Helge Karkoska August 20, 2000 11:13AM

Wade Hall August 20, 2000 04:58PM

learning curve

El Coke August 20, 2000 09:29PM

Re: learning curve

George Gaskill August 23, 2000 06:36PM

Towne Comee August 21, 2000 05:58AM

c hawkins August 21, 2000 11:17AM

G. W. Laepple August 21, 2000 01:25PM

c hawkins August 21, 2000 02:02PM

Re: Reality.

Michael Allen August 21, 2000 06:35PM

W. Gleckler August 22, 2000 09:40PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.