Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

westbound coal

February 01, 2023 11:40PM avatar
Rader Sidetrack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regular NGDF readers are likely aware that coal moved east on the narrow gauge, but this is the first I have seen that coal & coke moved west (with the possible exception of Monero coal going west to the DRGW tipple in Durango)...

A possible westbound coal movement I've wondered about is Crested Butte anthracite bound for west coast naval ports. Anthracite is a hard, high-density coal that the US Navy favored in the 19th & early-20th centuries. Most production was in Pennsylvania, but the Crested Butte basin had at least two sites with such high-grade anthracite: the spur/mine by that name, plus I believe at least part of the output from Floresta. Wouldn't it make sense to source anthracite for Pacific ports, as much as possible, from the rockies rather than PA?

This is not a speculative scenario, Crested Butte coal did indeed go to the Pacific, and in this case a westbound narrow gauge movement could be plausible.

It is, however, indeed possible that Raton Pass was the most efficient route to get anthracite from Crested Butte to San Diego (despite crossing the Continental Divide twice)... but is that the route that would fetch the Rio Grande the most lucrative invoice? Couldn't they bill a higher fee by interchanging at Salt Lake City rather than Pueblo?

Prior to the 1924 Salida barrel transfer, narrow-to-standard gauge coal transshipment would have been shoveled by manual laborers. Bound for Salt Lake, it seems far more efficient to perform the shoveling of westbound CB anthracite at Montrose rather than Salida. Pulling westbound coal eastbound up 4% Marshall Pass does not make sense to me, particularly as a way to stage the load for a run up the steep side of Tennessee Pass.

The argument against this westbound scenario is unit-train efficiency: just bring the anthracite along with all the other coal other loads back east across Marshall Pass, transship them all in Salida, and distribute them all in Pueblo, whether to the steel mill, locals, or interchange. Let the Santa Fe worry about getting it over the Divide again (or haul it back up the Divide from Salida to Salt Lake via Tennessee?).

In any case, I think it remains generally plausible for Salt Lake City-bound coal to transship at Montrose rather than Salida pre-1924. As linked above, this forum has some excellent discussion and information about Crested Butte coal movements, and I see a solid consensus that the bulk of coal movements were eastbound, particularly in the transfer barrel era.

But reviewing these discussions, I don't think we can or should fully rule out westbound coal movements for Montrose transshipments, particularly in the pre-transfer barrel era. Coal-fired ships were still abundant in the US Navy in 1924, but their balance in the roster was in accelerating decline as more and more oil-fired ships came into the fleet via commission & refurbishment. Floresta was shut down by the late 20s. It seems likely that much, perhaps most, of the westbound anthracite shipments predated the Salida barrel transfer.

Eager for any insights/documentation on this topic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2023 11:56PM by Shavano479.
Subject Author Posted

Coal & coke eastbound to Farmington NM in 1962

Rader Sidetrack January 30, 2023 12:09PM

Commodities in general Attachments

John West January 30, 2023 01:17PM

Re: Commodities in general

davidtltc January 30, 2023 01:38PM

Re: Coal & Coke WestBound to Farmington . . .

Russo Loco January 30, 2023 08:28PM

That classic photo...

John K February 02, 2023 06:38PM

westbound coal

Shavano479 February 01, 2023 11:40PM

Re: Coke WESTbound to Farmington . . .

Russo Loco February 02, 2023 03:26PM

John West February 02, 2023 05:56PM

Re: Special Coal WESTbound to Farmington . . .

Russo Loco February 02, 2023 08:12PM

Dan Robirds February 02, 2023 08:44PM

Johnson Barr February 03, 2023 12:14PM

Hazardous material.

John West February 03, 2023 02:26PM

Re: Coal & coke eastbound to Farmington NM in 1962

Kelly Anderson February 02, 2023 06:35PM

Re: Coal & coke eastbound to Farmington NM in 1962

Russo Loco February 03, 2023 01:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login