-------------------------------------------------------
> The fire did a horrific amount of damage to the
> site and the equipment.
>
> A shame. But there are no funds, insurance or
> otherwise to rebuilt.
>
> BN

I disagree. They are not offering the "Friends," or long time volunteer base of the Swanton Pacific an opportunity to raise funds to help recover the railroad.

I think that there are plenty of volunteers and fundraising opportunities to restore the Swanton Pacific. In today's day and age, corporations support employee donations with matching funds, fundraisers are common and do seem to work when the pitch is appropriately made. Further, the $10M estimate by "contractors" is rather inflated and is an indicator that Cal Poly has no interest in offering an opportunity to help the Swanton Pacific rise from the ashes like a Phoenix.

The infrastructure is most likely already in place at Cal Poly to support the right of way work. Equipment and manpower (in the form of volunteers, students, etc) are already there it just needs appropriate management (read: someone not employed by Cal Poly, IMO).

Need rolling stock? Draw up some prints and pitch projects to companies. I'm sure some metal fab companies would help in the form of labor, materials, maybe even both! Cal Poly also has metal fab shops on-site - even at the Swanton Ranch. I recall seeing their AG Facebook boasting some recent (within 5 years) work by students in their fab shops on the ranch.

Another plot twist is their statement that they have been in contact with the Smith family and are conveying the message that the Smith family has given approval. What this tells me is that they paid off the family to accept the falling of the railroad's flags - either financially or in some other form(s).

Long story short, this indicates that they've been eyeing the railroad as a large thorn in their side for some time now, and they have an opportunity to rip that thorn out. They believe that the bleeding that follows the thorn removal will be short lived and they will be able to recover from the PR damage - and they will.
Subject Author Posted

Swanton Pacific

Doc December 05, 2022 07:02PM

Re: Stanton Pacific

Brian Norden December 05, 2022 08:10PM

Re: Swanton Pacific

John Bush December 05, 2022 08:19PM

mrwalsh85 December 06, 2022 04:19AM

Ed "Oilcan" Kelley December 06, 2022 05:09PM

Mark Petersen December 06, 2022 08:18AM

guymonmd December 06, 2022 10:24AM

Lenicheck December 10, 2022 12:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login