Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Animas Forks on the Silverton Northern RR. A new clue.

May 25, 2019 06:15AM
Several member here might have Trains CD of their old issues (Nov 1942) so I suggest they read this interesting story written by Jim Morley after an interview with Otto Herbert Albertson. The story tell how he got the moniker. Oh Hell Albertson was a farm boy born Jan 3, 1870 and started working on the Colorado Midland in 1890. This interview was done in Redwood City CA, close to this Magazine date. Oh also worked the SP narrow gauge and often took water at the Laws tank, shown with his photograph on page 5. There are 4 photographs of the SN as it was recently still running. He also worked for the NCO, and there are 8 photos of Montgomery Pass on the SP narrow gauge in the story.

My Initial post included his exact text of the point I see of interest. What engine did the D&RGW have with outside frames that could be rented to the Silverton RR, even after they replaced their rail when Red Mountain mill was running the railroad?

How could Oh Hell know about a mile long branch built above Animas Forks if he had not been working on a work train as he told the interviewer at that 1940s era of time. He could have never know that we today have it as a major question if the railroad extension was ever built. I see the only question is: was it ever completed and served the mills. This line was as steep as the Uintah and one of the highest lines in the country. The plan of the line from the Rainbow book should be overlaid on Google Earth and check out. Maybe Dave Dye can help as he is the expert on this type of engineering question.
Subject Author Posted

Animas Forks on the Silverton Northern RR. A new clue.

OC MP62 May 24, 2019 04:50PM

rainbowroute May 24, 2019 07:53PM

OC MP62 May 24, 2019 08:05PM

rainbowroute May 25, 2019 12:17AM

Chris Walker May 25, 2019 12:36AM

Justin Kerns May 24, 2019 09:30PM

OC MP62 May 25, 2019 06:15AM

nickgully May 25, 2019 08:30AM

OC MP62 May 25, 2019 09:45AM

Re: Animas Forks on the Silverton Northern RR. A new clue. Attachments

ivb361 May 25, 2019 08:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login