Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Animas Forks on the Silverton Northern RR. A new clue.

May 24, 2019 07:53PM avatar
The mill in question is the Frisco Mill, at the Bagley Tunnel. Tunnel work began in 1904, while the mill was built around 1912. The photo of the mill on Pg. 238 of Sloan & Skowronski suggests that the grade was completed but tracks never laid. While their history may be correct, my own investigation of Animas Forks leads me to believe that the grade was never more than an idea or initial survey.

The end of track at Animas Forks is seems to be quite the end, the turntable and mill tracks being in a rather tight spot. There is no reasonable way for the grade to have gone further up the canyon from the mill, and no evidence of a grade exists. From the turntable location, the only way "up" would have been the alignment of the current Jeep road, or switchbacks up the same hill face. No evidence of either exits. Additionally, it seems unlikely to me that in 1906 the grade would have been placed on the established wagon road through Animas Forks.

It is, perhaps, possible that something was graded from the Animas Forks town site up to the Frisco Mill, with the balance of the connection to the end of track to be completed in the future. If that is the case, I suspect the current Jeep road to be on or nearly on what was graded.

My father and I have inadvertently vetted much of Sloan and Skowronski's text in the field, and this topic is one of a small number of loose ends we still debate.
Subject Author Posted

Animas Forks on the Silverton Northern RR. A new clue.

OC MP62 May 24, 2019 04:50PM

rainbowroute May 24, 2019 07:53PM

OC MP62 May 24, 2019 08:05PM

rainbowroute May 25, 2019 12:17AM

Chris Walker May 25, 2019 12:36AM

Justin Kerns May 24, 2019 09:30PM

OC MP62 May 25, 2019 06:15AM

nickgully May 25, 2019 08:30AM

OC MP62 May 25, 2019 09:45AM

Re: Animas Forks on the Silverton Northern RR. A new clue. Attachments

ivb361 May 25, 2019 08:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login