Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: S.Baker fueling facility

October 26, 2003 07:18PM
I am not contrdicting you Casey, as I assume there may have been several modes of handling the fuel. Someone sent me a photo of #17 sporting a diamond stack, so this was pre 1927 with tank car 99. There appears to be 3 tracks in the photo. The front track in the photo is unoccupied, the locomotive with consist in on the middle, and you can see an empty flat car on the track behind and along side the engine. There is a slight hill behind the flat and there are stacks and stacks of slab wood. SV Car toad says this is S.Baker up above the car shop building that is still standing today. The wood would be piled in the area that has been filled where the big heavy equipment lot is going up Hwy. 7 on the way out of town.
Also, it would be interesting to know how they cut the slab wood to length for the engines. We have a Fairbanks Z engine and saw that was used in later years for this purpose, but I have been told the engine was originally the pump engine from S wye, so they must have had some other means earlier on.
It makes sense that they would have loaded wood onto flat cars as photos and conductor reports indicate they stockpiled wood at a number of location along the ROW.
Subject Author Posted

Train Sim SVRy progress report *PIC*

steve thompson September 24, 2003 12:43PM

Re: Train Sim SVRy progress report *LINK*

steve thompson September 24, 2003 05:22PM

Re: Train Sim SVRy progress report

Pat September 26, 2003 09:45AM

steve thompson September 26, 2003 10:09AM

steve thompson September 24, 2003 05:23PM

Re: Train Sim SVRy progress report

J.B.Bane September 24, 2003 07:05PM

Keith Masterson October 26, 2003 03:26PM

Casey Carlson October 26, 2003 03:51PM

J.B.Bane October 26, 2003 07:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.