Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A Narrow Gauge Brute.

May 27, 2018 01:41AM avatar
Greg,

I'm sorry you feel that way, railroading didn't stop because the fires went out. smiling smiley

I posted it because that's all History now, the same time period you're reminiscing about on the early C&TS threads. A photo showing a clean original DX working on the pre-electrified Main Trunk and there is disagreement on the actual location of the picture mentioned in the comments, something I can't help ID since I only ran that line under Wire.

All those four-wheel wagons trailing, the orange Tarpaulins are history, those Mty Container flats as well, being too short for todays container fleet, the train number has changed and nowadays un-shunted trainsets of flattops just shuttle back n' forth. At that time there were two men in the lococab, a Guard at the rear in a Van, and depending on the load that day, probably would have been banked out of Taumarunui for the run up the Raurimu Spiral with a manned DA banker. Those DA's only run in excursion service here by the preservationist societies. Yes, all the steam groups here have vintage Diesels to run on out on the mainlines.

Of course you don't need any stinking diesels on your US NG, they pulled them all up before real Diesels came along. Not counting the White Pass eh smiling smiley If that line was all Steam, just how profitable would it be? And I guess with the forestfire issue you have, steam might not be running either.

Only Greg on here would recognise the DX's sister Class 34 in the thread title picture and since I'm not a Seth Arfreekin, it is irrelevant that those killed steam there in a thread about here.. Steam was totaly gone burger here in the North Is. when the first group arrived, and NZGR only operated the Kingston Flyer steamhauled on a dead-end branchline when the second group arrived.

Here's a scene we can never get back ...DA banker and DA road power, both manned, jumper cable in for the ride up to National Park.
Chris Bradley [flic.kr]

Climbing the Spiral 25.10.1975
Subject Author Posted

A Narrow Gauge Brute. Attachments

Chris Walker May 26, 2018 04:42PM

Greg Scholl May 26, 2018 06:49PM

Chris Walker May 27, 2018 01:41AM

Greg Scholl May 27, 2018 07:44AM

kcsivils May 27, 2018 11:10AM

Marowicz May 27, 2018 02:41AM

RedCarGo May 27, 2018 07:50AM

rehunn May 27, 2018 09:56AM

daveyb May 27, 2018 12:36PM

Chris Walker May 28, 2018 05:25AM

Mark Valerius May 30, 2018 12:33PM

Chris Walker May 31, 2018 04:57PM

Narrow Attitude

Dan Robirds May 31, 2018 12:02PM

Some tractive effort numbers

Dan Robirds May 31, 2018 12:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login