Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: R#19's malady

June 20, 2000 08:48AM
Having just spent some time on #19, I'll give a few comments on it's condition.
Someone removed covers that protect the brushes and armature on the traction motors, so that dust, water, snow, ice and every other foreign object encountered can damage that fragile area. We need to fabricate new covers for protection.
The traction motor we put in was rebuilt in Grand Junction by an electric motor company. The cost was several thousand dollars, I believe.
Oh, one of the leads to a traction motor had rubbed on a wheel at one time, causing who knows how much current draw from the generator, probable damage there. It will be tied up and out of the way in the future.
I do know that someone had replaced a traction motor before on it, one of the Antonito guys. Without lifts and hoists of suitable capacity, it's a pain for sure.
I am told that George B. did try to plow snow with the 19 on one occasion.
As to the engine, the fuel pump leaking was the number one issue. The crankcase capacity for oil is 35 gallons, and the contaminated oil we drained almost filled a 55 gallon drum.
Mechanical parts are a problem. The fuel pump needs new seals, finding those seals is an issue.
As to other parts, I'm working on several possibilities, but thanks for your input and ideas.
Jim Burrill Loveland, Colorado
Subject Author Posted

#50 - Huckleberry's locos similar?

Steven H June 19, 2000 09:50AM

Umm - actually I meant #19 (nm)

Steven H June 19, 2000 10:53AM

Huckleberry's infernal combustion locos similar?

Marty Knox June 19, 2000 09:21PM

R#19's malady

El Coke June 19, 2000 10:47PM

Re: R#19's malady

Jim Burrill June 20, 2000 08:48AM

Re: R#19's malady - A possible solution !!

Bill Malin June 20, 2000 03:52PM

Jim Burrill June 20, 2000 06:33PM

John Hammond June 20, 2000 09:23PM

Jay Wimer June 22, 2000 06:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.