Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&TS added ridership

March 23, 2003 08:23PM
you said
As the surplus cars build up at Antonito that can not be handled on the WB revenue train, advance them back to Cumbres by a one way extra, probably twice a month depending on demand and number of active cars in fleet. That WB "Cumbres Turn" could also be sold as a special excursion, with bus return.
My response.
(1) Most of your reply mirrored my statements in the first post except for your note above. First, my intention was to not send any more cars to Cumbres than when added to the Chama-Cumbres portion could be sent on a westbound out of Antonito. Therefore there would never be any overage. The train would be the same out of Antonito every day, and the same number of cars would be dropped at Cumbres, and thus picked up again going east out of Chama the next time.
The drawback to this plan is servicing the coaches left at Cumbres after the westbound run, and of course security. However, you could likely double the train size from what is departing Chama with a single engine. I think it is worth consideration to help maximize ticket sales until a second engine can be ready and used as a helper out of Chama.
I guess the next question is, when a second engine(484) comes out of the shop, will it be used as a helper/backup, or will they start running more days or trains per day?
Kims radio report stated that the deciding factors on passenger count from Chama would depend on the Parlor car, and the water car usage. She estimated carrying about 220 a day(I think I remember the number right). Also they were estimating that most trains would be full. This is why I was suggesting the Cumbres coaches, so as to allow for more potential folks rather than turning them away. At least this way there is more capacity, although the ride is 14 miles shorter for those who show up later.
At least it is an interesting option for us side-line spectators.
(2) I still like the idea of my suggestion of an early morning train to ferry those extra coaches to Cumbres. The 487 could leave at 6:30, arrive at Cumbres 7:45, Depart 8:15 return light to Chama(9:15-9:30), turn and take the regular train up.
This would get rid of the coach servicing problem at Cumbres, and there would be no security issue there either.
(3) Theoretically you could sell tickets on this early Cumbres run, but the majority of the buses might be in use bringing over folks from Antonito.
Heck the railfans might ride BOTH out of Chama. You could sell it as a one-way, and you provide your own transport back from Cumbres. Some folks who rode the trip from Antonito to Chama the day before, might enjoy this little trip, as they head out the next morning. They could have family members pick them up at Cumbres, and they are on their way by about 8 am.
Even if you sell zero tickets on the 6:30 train, you still have positioned the coaches at Cumbres opening up perhaps another 200-300 seats that can be sold in addition to what is brought out of Chama at 10 a.m. If you sell 100 tickets for $50.00 from Cumbres to Antonito, thats $5,000. Even if you only average 50 tickets thats $2500, plus potentially more revenue for lunches and concessions from those extra fares. I think it would offset the extra engine mileage, and crew costs in the long run, especially if there happen to be those 300-400 rider days!
It might be worth experimenting with it if the demand seems to be there once the season starts.
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

C&TS added ridership

Greg Scholl March 19, 2003 11:21AM

PRR March 21, 2003 04:29PM

Frank Martindell March 23, 2003 01:21PM

PRSL March 23, 2003 02:34PM

Greg Scholl March 23, 2003 08:23PM

Re: C&TS added ridership plan for one engine

PRSL March 24, 2003 08:52AM

Re: C&TS added ridership plan for one engine

Frank Martindell March 24, 2003 06:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.