Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: "Save Time & Money By Avoiding Bedlam & Confusion" ... eye popping smiley

November 13, 2012 06:08PM
Viewing this tour from an outside perspective is different from a "local" view. I hadnt travelled with Bernd before, but I have done a couple of tours with IGE, another German operator, and photo opportunities on those trips were limited and photo line ettiquete almost non-existant. Without sounding racist (and apologies if it comes off that way, because it is not intended) but the Germans have a different mind set in relation to what they want and how they go about getting it. I know the Europeans (and the Japanese who left early) were very happy, probably because they were smiling smiley. In all fairness, I too was happy (apart from the multitude of night photos that I dont want to talk about sad smiley ) I have done C&TS organised charters, a couple of Chris Skow charters and a Travel Bureau charter on the C&TS and I think possibly this was the best in relation to return on the investment. The guy I was travelling / rooming with, is a local, from "Joisy" (we have been doing these type of trips together for heading on 17 years) and his view is more along that of other US participants. I had my doubts, but the bus turned out ok, because the train never got to where we were going before us.

I do agree with your thoughts on the comfort levels. I completly understand what Bernd was trying to do in avoiding those hideous rider box cars, but after 10 hours standing in that rider-gon, I was glad to hit the bar for a beer. Something should have been done in relation to rider amenities in the 2 crew cars or a rotation through the caboose. Surely some plastic chairs could have been rounded up. There was the Pullman green coach on the D&S, but we incurred 2 hours to shunt the train and remove it for one run-by, so we had our "RG steam freight". I was impressed with the effort not to do photo runs in the "usual" locations, hence the early starts and differnt times to get different angles.It was all about trying to recreate what was, as best as possible, I think as a first attempt all are to be commended and if the worst that comes out of it is showing that multiple day tours and different set-ups are possible then it will be great for both the RR, Chama & Antonito business and participants.

I'd do another one... smiling smiley
Subject Author Posted

Chaos at Cumbres on 10/23 ... eye popping smiley Attachments

Russo Loco November 12, 2012 09:54PM

Re: Chaos at Cumbres (2) ... eye popping smiley Attachments

Russo Loco November 12, 2012 09:54PM

Re: "Save Time & Money By Avoiding Bedlam & Confusion" ... (2)

Rich Murray November 13, 2012 05:53AM

Ed Stabler November 13, 2012 07:37AM

Roger Hogan November 13, 2012 10:47AM

Re: 'As the Train Turns' -or- 'Chaos at Cumbres' ... confused smiley

Russo Loco November 13, 2012 11:46AM

Re: 'As the Train Turns' -or- 'Chaos at Cumbres' ... confused smiley

Ed Stabler November 13, 2012 01:27PM

Re: 'Chaos at Lizard (People) Head' ... eye rolling smiley

Russo Loco November 13, 2012 01:45PM

ozinoz November 13, 2012 03:00PM

Russo Loco November 13, 2012 04:27PM

ozinoz November 13, 2012 06:08PM

Meals, motels and miles.....

John West November 13, 2012 09:49PM

Re: Meals, motels and miles ... and safety

Russo Loco November 14, 2012 01:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login