Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: HOn3 question while waiting for the rain

June 12, 2002 05:26PM
Of all the brass that I own (about 35 engines and cars) I only have one Sunset. I have herd that they are very ify, at best. Some guys think they are great and have no problems with them, others have said that they are nothing but trouble.
My one Sunset is a C-16 that they put out around 1990 or 1991. I got it at new at a narrow gauge convention and it was a pile of @#%& from the day I put it on the railroad.
The detail might be nice, and it may have all of the correct details and piping, but if it does not run well, why buy it. I am not talking about just running well on a test track, but on a model railroad with all of the imperfections in track, dirt on the rails, and other odds and ends that can derail, short out, or screw up an engine.
For my two cents, if you are getting a K-27 or 28, PFM is the way to go. Get it at a good price and redetail it. If you are in the market for a K-36 or 37, Fuji is the way to go. You will spend a bit more (not as much as you would for a PSC) but they run like Swiss watches right out of the box. I have not found a C-16 that will pull itself out of a wet paper bag, but the Balboa C-21's are nice runners once you get a can motor in them. Westside's C-25 is a great runner once it has been remotored.
Basicly, from what I have herd, stay away from Sunsets unless you like to tune up you brass often.
Just my opinion
I could be wrong.
John Vandenberg
Subject Author Posted

HOn3 question while waiting for the rain

C. Hawkins June 11, 2002 06:02PM

John Vandenberg June 11, 2002 07:07PM

Thanks John. *NM*

C. Hawkins June 11, 2002 09:26PM

Skonk June 11, 2002 09:49PM

Boris Serena June 11, 2002 09:44PM

Mark Valerius June 12, 2002 11:06AM

Grant Houston June 12, 2002 04:49PM

John Vandenberg June 12, 2002 05:26PM

Thanks

Mark Valerius June 13, 2002 08:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.