Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Railroad History - Book Publishing Thoughts

September 24, 2010 10:23AM
Jerry and Charlie, it wasn't my intention to discourage publications of historical railroad books. I am glad to hear about the 1000 copy "guaranteed" distribution thru the Colorado RR Museum.

Hey, you are preaching to the choir when you tell me about RR books.
I take pride that my personal collection includes nearly every volume of CRRM's 'COLORADO RAIL ANNUAL'S". Additionally, my signed copies of SILVER SAN JUAN and the RAINBOW ROUTE, are among my most valuable personal possessions. The fact that they have appreciated in value as collectors volumes is merely a collateral benefit.

I think we are all in agreement that monetary reward is not the primary reason for writing/publishing railroad history books. I don't know the specific numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Furukawa spent more money in helicoptor charter costs than he received in royalties from his CUMBRES AND TOLTEC photographic tribute book. I consider Sam's book offerings as merely another of his generous contributions to the rail history enthusiast.

Please respect tht Sam merely followed in the foot steps of many photographers/authors who have come before. Think of the void there would be in our collections if the Otto Perry's, Bob Richardsons, Richard Kindig's, Charles Albi's and many others had not taken the time to archive their photos and research in the past.

I would hope that electronic publishing does not take the place of printed railroad books. I suggest that the best thing us railfans can do to perpetuate historical railroad publications is keep room on our bookshelves, and keep our checkbooks (aka credit cards) open to purchase the new offerings.
Subject Author Posted

Railroad History - Book Publishing Thoughts

Charlie Mutschler September 23, 2010 09:17PM

Kevin S. September 23, 2010 09:49PM

Jerry Day September 23, 2010 10:07PM

Randy Hees September 23, 2010 10:24PM

Jerry Day September 23, 2010 10:34PM

John Wilke September 23, 2010 10:54PM

Jerry Day September 23, 2010 11:07PM

Charlie Mutschler September 24, 2010 07:31AM

drgw0579 September 24, 2010 08:04AM

Jerry Day September 24, 2010 09:13AM

John Wilke September 24, 2010 10:23AM

elminero67 September 24, 2010 07:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login