Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Railroad History - Book Publishing Thoughts

September 23, 2010 10:54PM
Charlie, your quandary really has no easy answer.

I suspect that many, if not most railroad history books are published for purposes of sharing, showing and telling. In most instances, passion rather than plans for profitability is probably the motivating factor.

I caution you not to equate the anticipated retail price as any measure of revenue. Considering shipping, merchandising, inventory costs and profit requirements, you should expect the retailer to require about a 50% gross profit mark-up. Accordingly, your $100 cover price would probably yield only about $50.

Railroad History books, particularly those focusing on a particular railroad or locomotive model probably have a very limited potential
demand. A nominal 2000 copy initial print run might take years to be sold.

You are on-point in considering the academic press possibilities for publication. Like museum gift shops, and reputable specialty railroad book merchants such as Bob Zorn's Trackside Emporium [rollinstock.com] , the academic press seems able to focus on this speciality market. Last week, I received the Indiana University
Press catalogue on railroad books, and purchased 2 books at 30% discount from publisher list price. To give you some perspective a paperbound book with 461 pages and 400 photos cost $20.97. Additionally, I paid $34.97 for another book with 376 pages and 200+ photos. Obviously some books will sell for more, but authors need to be divorced from the idea that printing costs will create a starting point for retail pricing.

Last month, I had lunch with an author looking to publish a book on a short line RR in my area. He told me that he spent 14 years researching the railroad, and he is unquestionably the foremost expert on the history of the line. Regardless, I consider the potential market for his book to be quite limited. Considering his passion and committment, I hope he proves me wrong!
Subject Author Posted

Railroad History - Book Publishing Thoughts

Charlie Mutschler September 23, 2010 09:17PM

Kevin S. September 23, 2010 09:49PM

Jerry Day September 23, 2010 10:07PM

Randy Hees September 23, 2010 10:24PM

Jerry Day September 23, 2010 10:34PM

John Wilke September 23, 2010 10:54PM

Jerry Day September 23, 2010 11:07PM

Charlie Mutschler September 24, 2010 07:31AM

drgw0579 September 24, 2010 08:04AM

Jerry Day September 24, 2010 09:13AM

John Wilke September 24, 2010 10:23AM

elminero67 September 24, 2010 07:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login