Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Where to stay in Durango?

March 11, 2010 05:17PM avatar
Sandiapaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Suggestions?

Stay in one of the hotels near the depot.... and be sure to complain that you didn't get enough coal smoke! smileys with beer

I've stayed at the Doubletree, the Hampton Inn, the Residence Inn, the Holiday Inn and the Econolodge. I usually use hotel chain points to pay for my room, so you'll find me in the lowest tier room within that particular hotel.

The Residence Inn and Hampton are both typical of those chains. If you've stayed in a Hampton or Residence Inn elsewhere, you'll get the same product in Durango. Both chains provide free breakfast buffets, with hot food, 7 days a week.

The Durango Holiday Inn has great people working for it, but the hotel itself is not quite up to the recently updated standards of the Holiday Inn chain. In particular, the hotel's individual rooms are accessed from the outside (not via interior halls), there is no elevator up to the 2nd floor so you have to lug your own bags upstairs, and all the rooms appear to be the same size so there are no suites to be upgraded to. The hotel restaurant is an Applebees; it attracts a lot of patrons, which means parking spaces can be hard to come by in the evenings. "The River View" and "Pool View" rooms appear to be ripoffs - the "River View" rooms face the parking lot that happens to be on the river side of the hotel. The "Pool View" rooms face a courtyard; the pool itself is inside a building inside the courtyard. Don't pay extra for those "View" rooms.

Despite those details, there is nothing really wrong with the Holiday Inn - the staff is great, the rooms are clean, and the wireless internet works. I frequently stay there.

The Doubletree is very nice, but I don't stay at other Doubletrees enough to be able to say how consistent the Durango location is with the rest of the chain.

The Econolodge is, well, an Econolodge. I've only stayed their once, and I only ended up there because I didn't have enough HHonors points for another night at the Doubletree. It is not as nice as the other chain hotels, but it was a lot cheaper. On the plus side, the Econolodge did have enough hot water for me to take a 45-minute long, very hot shower in February-- I got a little too chilled during the night photo session.

It seems that the closer you get to the Depot, the more your hotel will cost... but you don't have to pay for parking if you walk to and from the Depot. The Doubletree, Holiday Inn and Residence Inn are all within a several block walk of the depot. Of the three, the Holiday Inn has the best location since it is only 3 blocks from Steamworks... The Econolodge and Hampton are not within walking distance of the depot.

I hope this helps.

--
Chris Webster
Subject Author Posted

Where to stay in Durango?

Sandiapaul March 11, 2010 06:21AM

Samart March 11, 2010 07:31AM

Where to stay in Silverton?

Steve Singer March 11, 2010 07:46AM

John Craft March 11, 2010 09:47AM

ChasM March 12, 2010 05:50AM

gbrewer March 11, 2010 09:48AM

Jim Armstrong March 11, 2010 01:09PM

Chris Webster March 11, 2010 05:17PM

Russo Loco March 11, 2010 06:56PM

Steve Singer March 12, 2010 09:51AM

Mike Trent March 11, 2010 06:20PM

BrianJ March 12, 2010 12:06AM

Sandiapaul March 12, 2010 05:49AM

round_house March 12, 2010 08:19AM

wcohen March 12, 2010 11:35AM

BoxcarBetty March 19, 2010 11:27AM

John C March 23, 2010 07:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login