Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Summer accommodation in Chama

January 13, 2010 03:31PM
First Off I forgot what IIRC stands for and you use it a lot.
Second I remember Kelly's cafe from 1968, as our family ate there in the morning when all three steamers were in chama(before 498 went back to Durango, and 483/493 went back to Alamosa. I believe it was the same cafe where Philip Hastings shot through the front window of the place and you see a NG engine in the yard....a rather famous NG shot....does that sound right?
As for the Mexican food, I think we hit a carry out place. I do remember getting the beer at some little cantena or some such in the curved road area to the west of main street not far from the RR crossing in town. It was off on some side street. As I recall we took the Mexican stuff and the beer back to the motel that night, and the beer, although somewhat warm was great after that spicy stuff. I didn't eat Mexican style food for years after that, and still stay away from it for the most part.
I remember on that 1971 trip, some fireman guy from California named Mike, was pretty friendly toward us fans. My younger brother was enamored with Mike and his position on this new railroad. Somehow Mike got my brother to shovel cinders from the ashpit, and he was bragging about it!!! I guess those early days were kinda like the beginnings of the "Friends of the C&TS" as some folks did a little at a time!!!
Buy the way Russ, the last time I shot 483 was in 1976. I spent a week out there volunteering, and helped finish that caboose they built(since dismantled I think). Anyway I chased the first train with the caboose and 483 was the road engine. Have that on super 8 silent movies. The next year I bought sound equipment, but was not back to NG land until 1981.
Cheers,
Greg Scholl

PS I hope that some of the younger guys understand that part of the fun of the NG was the "Adventure" that we got as fans. There were so many unexpected things and new things to experience, like Kelly's cafe, the campgrounds, the remoteness of the railroad itself, Gato, the friendly crews, and so forth. While photos were part of the enjoyment one could take the experiences of a lifetime and remember those just as much as the photos. One other experience I remember was in 1968 we had a truck camper, and spent several nights at Aspen Glen campgrounds south of Antonito toward Chama. A lovely setting, and again it was free if I remember right. One nice thing about the remaining Colorado/NM steam lines is that there is still a lot of adventure due to the preservation of the railroad in its natural habitat for the most part, especially on the C&TS. I guess thats why I look forward to returning when I go back! Cheers! Enough rambling!
Subject Author Posted

Winter accommodation in Chama

Eugene Blabey January 11, 2010 03:22PM

Re: Winter accommodation in Chama

John Cole January 11, 2010 04:33PM

John West January 11, 2010 04:40PM

timtrain488 January 11, 2010 05:09PM

Re: Foster's ain't what it used to be ...

Russo Loco January 12, 2010 11:54PM

Re: Foster's ain't what it used to be ...

Steve Singer January 13, 2010 04:59PM

bookemdanno January 12, 2010 12:12PM

Eugene Blabey January 11, 2010 07:31PM

Steve Dickey January 11, 2010 07:50PM

Roger's place is authentic

John West January 11, 2010 11:05PM

Re: Roger's place is authentic

John E. Bull January 12, 2010 07:28PM

Re: Roger's place is authentic

Russo Loco January 13, 2010 12:24AM

Jerry Day January 12, 2010 02:45PM

Russo Loco January 13, 2010 12:38AM

Greg Scholl January 13, 2010 09:50AM

Russo Loco January 13, 2010 02:09PM

Greg Scholl January 13, 2010 03:31PM

Adventure

Steve Singer January 13, 2010 05:07PM

Re: Common NGDF abbreviations ... grinning smiley

Russo Loco January 13, 2010 09:28PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login