Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My $0.02

April 30, 2016 03:25PM
Hello All,

I am a new member of the forum, although I have been a silent spectator for many years. I recently became a member because I felt it was my time to share my $0.02. I apologize in advance for the longevity of this post.

First of, I would like to address the “493 to the Colorado Railroad Museum” thread:

I see how many would be confused with as to why this is taking place, whether it be lack of space at CRRM, transportation, or financial issues for either involved company. Although there are not many details regarding these questions, I believe RDannemann said it best in the initial thread:

“It must make sense to the people involved.”

Many have seen how this can help both companies, such as guymonmd, who said:

“Colorado Railroad museum benefits by having access to 493 for 10 years.
D&S benefits by having the CRRM get 493 running for them and they do not have to do it. They probably had no plans to fix 493 otherwise.
Rail fans benefit because 493 will be running first at the CRRM, and then on the D&S
Everybody wins.”

And I believe that it is as simple as that. Well put guymonmd!

And out of curiosity, what’s the big deal with allowing the CRRM restore and operate a locomotive, then give it BACK to the D&S operational? I do not believe it is simply because of “free labor” on the D&S part, but rather because they are busy maintaining their fleet of locomotives and would otherwise have no time or money for a restoration. Now, I know what you are thinking: “but the D&S was all for a complete restoration project when the 483 was up for grabs.” This statement is true, however now that they are keeping the 478, I believe that they are focusing their efforts more on the complete rebuild of that engine as well as the continued maintenance to the “Summer fleet” of locomotives used in the Summer operating season. And also, I would like to bring attention to what Jeff Taylor said:

“I believe the CRRM approached the D&S about the 493.”

Which means that it is not a “Do you want to restore this engine for us then give it back so that we don’t have to front the currency?” kind of an operation.

And everyone was up for another K being restored when the 483 was in the works, why not now? So what the CRRM already has a K-37 operable, what’s the harm in another? The C&T and the D&S have many of the same class of locomotive operating together and no one bats an eyelash! I believe durangokid123 said it best:

“It is my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that the mission of the Colorado Railroad Museum is to preserve the history of railroading in Colorado. This means that ANY operating equipment on property is accomplishing their goal.”

So we have another K-37 preserved and not out in the elements. I find it funny how everyone was so against the 493 sitting in Silverton unprotected for all those years, but now it seems that everyone is getting mad that it’s being brought back to operation simply because they don’t understand the ideas involved. (with the respect of a few people.)

Personally, my train of thought (pun intended) lies more with what Kyle W. Colley said:

“Either way, it is getting restored to operation, which is a great thing in itself.”

Second, although already deep into a long post, why do most people here on the forum find it alright to paint the D&S as “The Bad Guy” in many situations? What did they do wrong? A couple examples of this include when the 483/478 deal was about to unfold. A large majority of people were saying, to sum it up, “Awful D&S! Wanting to trade historic locomotives to make a buck and take the pride of the C&TS away from us.” NEWS FLASH: the Durango and Silverton is a privately owned and operated business that relies on money to continue its operation! Unlike the C&TS, the D&S cannot simply afford to “play trains” because they need to bring in the dough to keep its doors open. They do not receive federal or state grants to restore their locomotives or rolling stock, it is all paid out-of-pocket! If it makes more sense to trade a smaller locomotive to the C&TS for a larger locomotive that can create more revenue (and is also rotting away), it seems like a good deal!

Another example includes the 493 as opposed to the 168. It somehow doesn’t make sense when the D&S wants to restore a larger locomotive and allows outside forces to do that for them for (eventually) their own BENEFIT, but makes perfect sense for the C&TS to restore the 168 for little to no profitable reason. Why is it bad the the D&S acquires something useful?

Long story short, the D&S is in reality a fantastic company. They, in a good way mind you, center their deals and arrangements with other railroads and museums around a very business-like mindset, as this is the only way for them to continue preserving the history of the much loved D&RGW narrow gauge for generations to come.

I WISH TO ADD A FEW DISCLAIMERS:

I am a huge fan of the D&S
I am equally as huge of a fan of the C&TS
Same goes for the CRRM
I am not biased to either railroad (or museum) but I do believe that often, the D&S is not given the benefit of the doubt or the historical preservation recognition that it, along with the others, deserves.

Of course, I am always open to critique and discussion of my opinions/ideas and am open to hearing what everyone else thinks, and that’s why I enjoy the forum. Feel free to comment on this topic or send me a personal message. P.S. I do not welcome hate mail, it’s a waste of everyone’s time!

I am ecstatic to be a part of this group of jolly foamers and am excited to see the discussion that ensues. Again, I apologize for the length of this post, but if you made it this far, good for you!

All the best!

David Polan
Subject Author Posted

My $0.02

DPolan17 April 30, 2016 03:25PM

Re: My $0.02

hsuthe April 30, 2016 04:20PM

hsuthe April 30, 2016 04:20PM

rehunn April 30, 2016 04:27PM

J.B.Bane April 30, 2016 05:27PM

Paul Dalleska April 30, 2016 05:19PM

dougvv April 30, 2016 07:51PM

rdmstr April 30, 2016 09:34PM

dougvv April 30, 2016 11:10PM

rdamurphy May 01, 2016 06:23AM

wcohen May 05, 2016 05:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login