Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Paid staff vs Contractors

October 15, 2009 11:28AM
I would like to add my two bits worth to what Erik said, based on my experience with National Forest roads. All new construction has always been contracted, for the reasons Erik enumerated. Reconstruction was occasionally done by "force account" crews, but was usually included in a Timber Sale Contract or was contracted directly, depending on the complexity of the project. But when I first started with the F.S. vertually all road maintenance was accomplished with F.S. crews. This worked well, the roads were generally in good shape and emergency repairs were quickly accomplished. Later, when budgets started shrinking, the force account road crews were some of the first to go, and most of the maintenance work was also contracted. This was indeed cheaper, but the main reason was that most of the smaller projects were simply not done. On larger projects the contractors did a good job and were cost effective, but it was not worth the time and expence to put up a contract for small jobs. The result of this was a general deterioration of the road system. In fact, one of the last jobs for remaining F.S. road crews was closing roads that could no longer be maintained in a safe condition.

On thing to remember about contracting is that you must have personel to prepare and administer the contract, and these people must be familiar with the work to be contracted. The S.V. once contracted a survey and preliminary design project, and the personel assigned to administer the contract were unfamiliar with both surveying and contracting. The result was that the contractor did about half of what they were supposed to do.

The bottom line is still the bottom line however and, as Taylor pointed out, if you don't have the money to pay full time employees then you will have to contract whatever work you can afford. That way you get more bang for the bucks, but fewer bangs.
Subject Author Posted

Paid staff vs Contractors

Garrett Augustus October 13, 2009 04:32PM

Brian Norden October 13, 2009 05:27PM

Taylor Rush October 13, 2009 09:41PM

Marty Knox October 14, 2009 05:06AM

SandingValve October 14, 2009 04:17PM

ryanpce October 15, 2009 12:13AM

Jim Grigsby October 15, 2009 11:28AM

Garrett Augustus October 15, 2009 04:07PM

GeorgeGaskill October 15, 2009 05:08PM

SandingValve October 15, 2009 10:28PM

Garrett Augustus October 16, 2009 12:10AM

SandingValve October 16, 2009 11:52AM

Jim Grigsby October 16, 2009 03:22PM

Russo Loco October 16, 2009 12:08PM

Garrett Augustus October 16, 2009 10:18PM

dbbii October 17, 2009 07:27AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login