Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

He was better than most of us

July 05, 2008 11:03AM
While Bob is justly remembered as for his hard work and dedication as the Chair of the Restoration Committee, there was so much more to him. He was a man of absolutely no pretense. He was always quick to credit everyone else for any of the achievements at the work sessions.

The fact is that Bob Tully was a statesman. In an organization dominated by former captains of industry and other alfa types, Tully (as he was called by everybody) was something different. He led by way of his sheer warmth and grace and credibility. He made each worker in his volunteer army feel important. He was simply better than most of us.

He was always deferential to me, and rarely told me he needed something from me. Instead, he would always suggest that this or that supply or other resource might come in handy, but perhaps he could manage without it if I thought that to be best. And so it was that Tully always got what he needed. How could I refuse someone as credible as him?

Though he rarely talked about himself, there was that time when we were driving back to Chama from up in Osier, I believe. He was telling me about his days as an administrator with the Colorado Division of Wildlife. He once led a field survey team to investigate rumors of a remnant grizzly population in the San Juan Mountains. After several weeks thrashing all around the high country he concluded the answer was negative, but he described being stalked by a cougar for several days. Were you scared I asked? Naw, he said, but those cats can get a little curious sometimes. Then he glanced at me and smiled.

At the risk of becoming too fanciful in my sentiment, I might picture General Palmer standing inside the gate waiting to shake his hand. I heard you were coming, Palmer would say to him. They'd talk a while. Then Tully would look down and start kicking some cinder ballast. You know General, I've been thinking (this is how Tully always started). You might not go for this, but what if we were to...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 12:29PM by Brian Shoup.
Subject Author Posted

Bob Tully

John Cole July 04, 2008 02:53PM

Re: Bob Tully

Jim Poston July 04, 2008 03:30PM

Godspeed Bob

Rich Muth July 04, 2008 03:31PM

Re: Godspeed Bob

John Cole July 04, 2008 06:03PM

Chuck Heroneme July 04, 2008 06:13PM

Flags at half staff

John West July 04, 2008 11:09PM

Roger Hogan July 05, 2008 12:35PM

He was better than most of us

Brian Shoup July 05, 2008 11:03AM

Re: He was better than most of us

Kim Casford July 05, 2008 11:48PM

"I've been thinkin"

John Cole July 06, 2008 10:12PM

Re: He was better than most of us Attachments

Mark Valerius July 07, 2008 12:12PM

Bob Tully

Jim Poston July 10, 2008 11:15AM

C&TSRR remembers

rltower July 05, 2008 12:04PM

Re: C&TSRR remembers

Brian Shoup July 05, 2008 12:18PM

Re: Bob Tully

Craig Kumler July 07, 2008 10:27AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login