Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: K27 Trailing Truck

November 28, 2007 08:21AM
I'm looking at a K27 drawing by Allen J. Brewster, published in the June 1973 Model Railroader. Just happened to have it hanging in my gallery. I don't have access to a scanner, so I can't post it. I also am interested in how it works, but after viewing this drawing I've answered a couple questions, and opened up a few more for myself. The drawing shows a top view of the frame and running gear. From that view all it shows of the rear truck is the flat frame that goes around the bottom of the truck, with a V shaped framus that connects to the front part of the truck frame and at the center of the loco frame just behind the rear drivers. I suppose that connection to the main frame allows the rear truck to swivel horizontally. That frame also holds the axle bearings and the C framus, that can be seen from trackside, that attaches to a leaf spring at the rear and to the rear driver spring at the front, and seems to me to be connected to the wheel bearing via a joint that would allow the rear truck to swivel. Everybody still with me? OK looking at the top of the frame that goes around the truck horizontally on each side there are two cut outs fore and aft of the wheel bearing whose only purpose can be to limit side to side travel of the swiveling truck frame. Also in the drawing there doesn't seem to me more than an inch or two clearance between wheel and bearing to suggest all the rear truck swiveling comes from that spot. This is my conclusion and I'm sticking with it. The next time I'm around a K27 I'm going to take a real close look at those parts to answer some lingering questions. Somewhere on this forum lately were some pics of the 455 wreck and some of my information came from studying them.

George

Jeez Kelly, I could have saved a lot of words if your drawings were posted before I wrote the above. I had fun though studying Brewster's drawings. Not wasted time.

And Earl, wouldn't unwanted flange wear occour if the wheels just went sideways?

455 upsidedown Pics-this forum page 7 RE: K27 455 by D&RGW 489

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 09:16AM by geode.
Subject Author Posted

K27 Trailing Truck

stanames November 23, 2007 07:12PM

Earl November 24, 2007 09:24AM

stanames November 26, 2007 04:42PM

Kelly Anderson November 26, 2007 06:03PM

Russo Loco November 27, 2007 03:28PM

Re: K27 Trailing Truck Attachments

Kelly Anderson November 28, 2007 08:04AM

geode November 28, 2007 08:21AM

Robert Herronen November 28, 2007 02:15PM

Todd Hohlenkamp December 21, 2007 05:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login