Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remembering Bob Keller, my most interesting boss!

November 16, 2007 08:39AM
Bob was my direct employer. He had a big heart, generous, the smartest man in the room, and punctuated his great tales with his booming laugh. He turned the C&TS around during his management tenure. Bob's great sense of humor was always close at hand. One afternoon over beer at the High Country (Bob's one and favorite waterhole) he told me that Ronald Reagan would be the next president, I replied, "Nobody would elect him as dog catcher!" Boy was I wrong! Bob always brightened any room with his wit and humor and devilish grin. We loved working for him, even when he enfuriated us!

A story. One afternoon in the 1970s we were all sitting eating lunch at the Osier section house. I had seen a fine-looking young woman on the train. She had long, perfect red hair.
Coker-"Bob, did you see the redhead?
Bob- "Yes, indeed."
Coker- (dreamily)"I never dated a redhead"
Bob-looking up from his beans with a sly smile-" What difference does it make, John? They ALL taste the same!" Later in my misspent youth I auditioned a couple of "burning bushes"found out he was right!

Bob kept about 400 hotel keys on a big brass loop. He told us wide-eyed raildweebs that each key represented a conquest! MY HERO!

He tried to market a sound system, employing the first CD I ever saw. It was called "OnBoard" and was steamrolled by PFM's sound system, which came out about the same time. He tried to put together other projects but could never get them off the ground. Bob always kept a fifth of Beefeaters gin under the desk. The booze finally got the best of him, as booze, like the Devil, will demand its due.

I will miss this fine, brilliant and hilarious raconteur. God, those were fun times! Lord, please consider his restless soul.

Quote for the day:
Psychiatrist: Has Elwood P. Dowd been here?
Bartender: "Well sir, there are two schools of thought about that"
("Harvey", by James Thurber)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 10:57AM by El Coke.
Subject Author Posted

Bob Keller

Mark Valerius November 08, 2007 12:37PM

Keller stories

John West November 08, 2007 04:33PM

Re: Bob Keller

Richard Boulware November 08, 2007 07:16PM

Re: Bob Keller

Mark Yeamans November 08, 2007 11:27PM

Bob Keller's posts at the Goat

John West November 13, 2007 11:23AM

Re: Bob Keller's posts at the Goat - C&TS first train to Chama? Attachments

Russo Loco November 14, 2007 09:23PM

Story telling versus history

John West November 14, 2007 10:11PM

Re: Bob Keller's posts at the Goat - C&TS first train to Chama?

Bill M. November 14, 2007 10:25PM

Re: Bob Keller's posts at the Goat - C&TS first train to Chama?

Fred T November 15, 2007 07:48PM

Remembering Bob Keller, my most interesting boss!

El Coke November 16, 2007 08:39AM

Re: Remembering Bob Keller, my most interesting boss!

Herb Kelsey November 17, 2007 02:10AM

Re: Remembering Bob Keller; the steps and volunteers ... Attachments

Russo Loco November 17, 2007 06:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login