Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG Fireless Locomotive

February 22, 2009 12:50PM
We have a 3' gauge Porter fireless running in southern New Jersey, although it is on air not steam at the moment. I spent many years on conventional 3 foot gauge steam locomotives and can certainly attest to how quite a fireless really is by comparison. I suppose there are a few simple reasons. There's no blast pipe to create any sort of draft nor baffles and such for cinders. In fact I suspect back pressure is probably something one wants to avoid at all costs on a fireless. So, there really is no heavy chug, just a pleasant chuff really.

In working on the valves I found the ports to be much larger than on a conventional engine of a similar size. On ours, the snifters are built into the top of the slide valve. Again that's quite different. And they make the oddest rattle sound when rolling very slowly with the throttle shut.

Of the four fireless engines I have climbed over now, one thing stands out: the Johnson bar quadrant. There's a lot more notches on the quadrant of a fireless than on a conventional locomotive. I suspect it was quite an art to efficiently use the charge by the engineer thus calling for very fine adjustment of the Johnson bar. Ours was good for about 5 hours on a charge of 150psi.

I heard the noise this Heisler fireless was making. Ours seems to make similar noises. I wonder if they are running on air or steam. I see no exhaust whiffs so suspect air. Can that be confirmed? With everything so quite when running one of these, even the little sounds really stand out.

Ours is Apache Powder #6, HK Porter 7197, built 1930. She's little, coming in at 7 tons, but a blast to run none the less. Some day I'll figure out how to post a video on you tube. We have several videos of it running on our short track of about 300 feet. With the 20 inch wheels that is a nice little run.

J.R.
Porter in woods.JPG
Subject Author Posted

NNG Fireless Locomotive

kwilcomb February 20, 2009 10:45PM

Re: NNG Fireless Locomotive Attachments

jrmay February 22, 2009 12:50PM

GFDMatt February 22, 2009 01:14PM

kwilcomb February 22, 2009 03:36PM

GFDMatt February 22, 2009 03:38PM

tractor February 22, 2009 03:56PM

Jeff A. February 22, 2009 04:11PM

kwilcomb February 22, 2009 10:24PM

Jeff A. February 23, 2009 10:04AM

Apache Powder and Heisler Diesel-Electric

AZfarmer February 24, 2009 01:40PM

Re: Apache Powder and Heisler Diesel-Electric Attachments

Jeff A. February 24, 2009 09:25PM

Re: Apache Powder and Heisler Diesel-Electric

Consol February 26, 2009 08:47AM

stuart olson February 24, 2009 02:38PM

T A Hunter February 26, 2009 08:05AM

stuart olson February 26, 2009 05:15PM

Bruce R. Pier February 26, 2009 11:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login