Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Collateral Damage" to C&TSRR

April 07, 2001 11:56AM
I'd like to clarify and reinforce a few points about Gov. Johnson's veto of the NM Capital Outlays bill yesterday and its implications for the C&TSRR. As the Friends report at the link below already states, the governor and the legislature are both very supportive of the railroad.
The problem is that the railroad and many, many other consitutencies in NM are hostage to the political battle between the governor and the legislature. If you are a Republican you can blame the legislature, if you are a Democrat you can blame the governor.
The good news is that both the governor and the legislature support an appropriation of $442,000 for the C&TSRR, and both supported a similar appropriation last year which helped save the railroad. Those annual appropriations are TEN TIMES greater than was the case in each of the previous five years. After working with Carl Turner to lobby at the capitol these past two years I can assure you that we have the solid support of both political parties in NM.
However, the reality is that the railroad remains dependent upon capital assistance from both states and every year is subject to the vagaries of the political processes in each state. This is the hand that has been dealt the Commission and RGRPC.
So, if you wish to complain to the governor or to the legislators, I suggest you (a) thank them for their continuing support of the Railroad, but (b) insist that they find a way to resolve their political differences without hurting the railroad.
Subject Author Posted

Appropriations

Tom Kneib April 06, 2001 05:00PM

I hope

Roger Hogan April 06, 2001 05:43PM

cancel the above hope

Roger Hogan April 06, 2001 06:17PM

The problem won't be this season

John West April 06, 2001 07:02PM

Re: The problem won't be this season

R.E.Hess April 06, 2001 10:49PM

A Bit More

John Craft April 07, 2001 07:00AM

they don't fund operations, Tom

John Craft April 07, 2001 07:03AM

Re: Appropriations

Tom Kneib April 07, 2001 07:12AM

Re: Appropriations

Jay April 07, 2001 08:26AM

How to contact the Governor's office

Roger Hogan April 07, 2001 09:29AM

"Collateral Damage" to C&TSRR

Dick Cowles April 07, 2001 11:56AM

Re: "Collateral Damage" to C&TSRR

ICMountainLover April 08, 2001 07:14AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.