Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Did Bob Richardson ever run 346?

September 19, 2007 07:19PM
Hi all!

I seen to have a vague recollection of RWR running 346 once. And it was at the urging of many of us, and under the watchful eye of Dick Cooper (whom RWR held in high regard).

If indeed so, it was very early after 346 was steamed up. But as memory serves me it was only once. Also he very seldom rode the engine either. HE would ride the caboose now and then.

Remember, RWR was not an operations or a mechanical man. NOt physical operations in the sense of actually running engines, but more a research/historical person interested about how a divison or branch was operated, including pictures. This is not a negative, it is just where the interest of the person lies.

BTW, thanks for the rebuild compliment. Although, I must confess, there wasn't that much of a rebuild looking back after so many years. Just getting missing parts, repairing others, putting together and making sure it was all right. Others involved were, Dick Cooper(D&H/D&RGW), Dan Maher(D&RGW), Jerry Cutshall(D&RGW) Ralph McNulty(C&S machinist on both NG & SG engines) Harry Zumtobel(last C&S boilermaker), Maurice Devalliere, Ed Trump, Dirk Ranmsey, Randy Danneman, Ken Scherer and others whom I've since forgotten (with apoligies)
And the most famous helper of all "s--t luck"!

Another one that came along after I left was Jack Campbell who I think relined the crosshead shoes and went over the timing (as she was lame on one side). And the list goes on to the present.

So remember, this is what brings history to life for those who weren't around at the time.

As for RWR, He would say many times, you guys work on it and so you run it, I just enjoy seeing it run and hearing the whistle. Remember that at that time, NG steam and the 4th division had only a few years to go, Bradshaw was not in the picture and class 1 SG steam was on its last legs. So from his view point, (I guess) it was that he was seeing steam that would be there when the rest was gone and obviously, after a while, seen as a benefit to the museum. And there were a few na'sayers who never thought we'ed get or keep the engine running. May they rest in peace.

RWR never really thought we would get the 346 going. Nor did he ever seriously plan on running anything when he, Helfin & Corny were out picking up the engines, or the rolling stock for that matter. He thought they would be just be static displays. It was after a few years of working on the engine, when he learned the troops were serious and that 346 could be tested and actually steamed up! Remember, most railroaders knew steam as hard work, with the knowledgeable craftsmen, tools, shop & stores department to support the operation. We on the other hand, didn't know any better. But it doesn't take long to learn all that you don't know. There still has to be a willingness to learn, from both your mistakes and from others who really know the work.

So whether it is the 346, the 315 (another C engine back in service - Nice job!) it is a taste of the past. And soon the RGS 20, Keep up the good work.

Chris
Subject Author Posted

Did Bob Richardson ever run 346?

bobyar2001 September 18, 2007 06:05PM

Rick Steele September 18, 2007 07:06PM

Herb Kelsey September 19, 2007 01:07PM

chris ahrens September 19, 2007 07:19PM

Herb Kelsey September 20, 2007 09:30AM

chris ahrens September 20, 2007 08:58PM

Mike Trent September 20, 2007 09:13PM

chris ahrens September 20, 2007 09:26PM

Jerry Day September 23, 2007 06:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login