Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

... back in the GLRR, Inc. day and useless trivia.

September 12, 2007 01:44PM
One of the things that went away with GLRR, Inc. is cab rides. When I was a teenager, I got the narrow gauge steam bug by going to the Loop and riding with John Bush in the cab. We had the confidence of our skills and equipment to be able to do that. If you came around often enough, the GLRR, Inc. fireman would teach you how water and pressure is managed and it didn't cost anything extra.

On one of the last weekends, Irv August came for a ride. Irv was in his 90s and had ridden all over Colorado's original narrow gauge lines. Before he left he told me that the cab ride on # 40 at the Loop was the highlight of his memories.

I spent way too much time in Clear Creek County and got to know the locals. On the same day of Irv's visit one of my friends from Georgetown rode the cab and gave me a book that sums things up. One of the best kept secrets of Georgetown is that this was the home of Roseanne Barr before she became famous. My Georgetown friend had known Roseanne and gave me her book. I would never have read it, but he highlighted the page that sums up GLRR, Inc. for me. Whether she is liked or not - her quote for Georgetown is spot on.

"Georgetown, Colorado was a beautiful little town, nestled high up in the Rocky Mountains, sixty miles west of Denver. You could not go there now and find Georgetown, Colorado, because the place I'm telling you about doesn't exist anymore, although everyone who lived there could maybe reinvent it, if we were all together, but then perhaps not, because the Time itself could never be again".
-Roseanne Barr, Georgetown past resident. Book = autobiograpy, pg 99.

Being one of the GLRR, Inc. employees, my bias is that the band get back together and run the Loop like it used to be (cab rides and reliable operations), but the time itself could never be again.

Band-Rebuild.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 01:48PM by Stephen Peck.
Subject Author Posted

Former Loop equipment question

bobyar2001 September 09, 2007 11:07AM

Re: Former Loop equipment question

michael September 09, 2007 12:08PM

CharlieMcCandless September 09, 2007 07:18PM

Eric Bolton September 11, 2007 06:02PM

michael September 11, 2007 06:06PM

BCFDFF September 11, 2007 06:09PM

michael September 11, 2007 07:26PM

Gavin Hamilton September 12, 2007 04:48AM

Robert Herronen September 12, 2007 10:39AM

Ed "Oilcan" Kelley September 12, 2007 01:38PM

Robert Herronen September 12, 2007 01:57PM

dan September 12, 2007 12:42PM

... back in the GLRR, Inc. day and useless trivia. Attachments

Stephen Peck September 12, 2007 01:44PM

Re: ... back in the GLRR, Inc. day and useless trivia.

Robert Herronen September 12, 2007 02:15PM

Re: Giving cab rides.

John Bush September 12, 2007 09:23PM

Re: Giving cab rides. Attachments

Stephen Peck September 12, 2007 09:46PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login