Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New book(s) in the works on Sumpter Valley?

August 19, 2007 12:14PM
I have read all the posts and I thought I would follow up.

I had done searches through past posts on this forum and most discussion of a new book I saw was either some years ago or was tongue-in-cheek references to non-existent books.

I have looked all around the internet and have not found anything written on this railroad or any aspect of it besides Mallory Ferrell's book. At the same time, I am a railfan and a model railroader and I have regular contact with a representative from Arcadia Publishing. Because Mal Ferrell's books fetch $40 and more online, and because there is a market out there for books on local history, books on railroads, and books that people may want to pick up in the depot after riding the train (I didn't see any books in the depot last year when I was there), I had thought that a publisher might be interested in a book on the Sumpter Valley Railroad.

I had NOT originally intended to be the author, and I am still not set on that. I can write just fine, and my willingness and ability to do research are bounded only by constraints of time put on me by needing to work my "day job" and raise my two kids.

I was sent an author's packet by Arcadia Publishing, and I read through their guidelines and determined that this was not something that would be out of my ability, and so I thought I should check to make sure that someone else isn't on the verge of releasing their own book as a courtesy.

I don't think the market is so small that a $20 book with pictures and text and a magnum opus multi-volume set cannot co-exist. There will be a market for both. Total foamers like me are going to buy everything out there, and have tabbed copies of the magnum opus which can be quickly referred to in online board debates and such. Ma and Pa Minivan on a family trip are almost always going to get the $20 book with the pictures in it, but then maybe they buy it for a nephew in Pocatello who then devotes his entire life to narrow gauge railroad operation and restoration.

There is no book in print and hasn't been for nearly thirty years. This particular publisher has books on lots of other railroad operations, including one on the Columbia Gorge and another called "Rails Around Durango." They also have a book on historic Baker City. You may want to look at their website:

[www.arcadiapublishing.com]

I will be away from computers for most of the week but will check back in when I get back.

Adam
Subject Author Posted

New book(s) in the works on Sumpter Valley?

SteamDonkey74 August 16, 2007 05:42PM

DaveM August 17, 2007 09:10AM

SteamDonkey74 August 17, 2007 09:39AM

Re: Farrell, Ferrell (?)

DaveM August 17, 2007 03:00PM

dan August 18, 2007 07:23AM

Steve Hughes August 18, 2007 07:41AM

J.B.Bane August 18, 2007 10:08AM

Skip August 19, 2007 08:06AM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. August 18, 2007 02:14PM

J.B.Bane August 18, 2007 03:56PM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. August 18, 2007 04:48PM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. August 18, 2007 05:00PM

Brian Norden August 18, 2007 05:18PM

Re: New book(s) in the works on Sumpter Valley? Attachments

J.B.Bane August 18, 2007 06:55PM

SteamDonkey74 August 19, 2007 12:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login