Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SVRy Who's who in 1915

August 13, 2007 02:37PM avatar
Thanks for posting Dave. Casey Carlson and I had talked once of putting a SVRy employee list together along with biographical info we could come up with for each one. At some point, I realized this was a much bigger task than was practical to undertake with 6-7 train crews on the roster for many years, 8-9 sections, a b&b crew and a rather large number of shop personel plus depot and clerical staff over the span of 57 years of mainline operation plus the final 14 years as a switching operation.
Going down the list, I can provide just a bit of info on a few of the people. #1 David C Eccles would be the original David Eccles son as Dave Sr. died in 1912. #2 CW Nibley was an original partner in SVRy, OLC, Mt Hood Ry and many other ventures that combined with members of the Eccles family such as the NG Eureka Hill rr, Nibley Stoddard Lbr. Grande Ronde Lbr. and Nible Mimnaugh Lbr., #11 Wm Larson who is listed as roadmaster was possibly the father of Bill Larson who was conductor on the last run in 1947. #13 WH Eccles was one of the original partners and brother of David Eccles. He was president of Mt Hood Ry and also operated his own Lbr. Co. the WH Eccles Lbr. Co. for which SVRR's Heisler WH Eccles Lbr. #3 was purchased new in 1915. #145 David Baird was a son in law of the original David Eccles and was a long time conductor on pass. trains. I believe he is credited with helping deliver a baby on the pass. train at one time. #147 US Carpenter worked as an engineer on the SVRy for many years out of Austin. He was engineer on the last scheduled pass. train in 1937. His son Floyd became SVRy's master mech. and later superintendant of SVRy and Mt. Hood. #148 Mr. WJ Larson conductor as on the last run in 1947.
#180 Mr. HM Welter "Mike" listed as fireman was the engineer on the last run in 1947.#182 W.A.Roundy listed as fireman, worked for SVRy at two different periods. Back in the early 1900's perhaps 1906 or so he was a machinist apprentice and was turned out as a machinist from the SVRy shop. He quit SVRy for a time then went back to work in engine service, but presumably he also worked some in the shop as we at SVRR have a brake gauge marked with his initials and when he tested it in 1917. He went on to become and engineer as is purported to have brought the longest train ever run on SVRy down off Larch. He later became master mechanic for the Palmer Lbr. Co at Camp 5 out of Wallowa, Ore. then after that company sold out, he bacame master mech. for Nibley Mimnaugh at Wallowa. The SVRR archives has an autobiography of this gentleman. A few other names show up in various photos and other paperwork, but nothing I can add of a biographical nature.
Subject Author Posted

SVRy Who's who in 1915

DaveM August 06, 2007 11:41AM

rod August 06, 2007 01:42PM

J.B.Bane August 13, 2007 02:37PM

Re: Correction to earlir post:

J.B.Bane August 13, 2007 06:54PM

SteamDonkey74 August 13, 2007 03:04PM

J.B.Bane August 13, 2007 07:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login