Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Caboose Grab Iron Colors

April 16, 2007 10:11PM
Dave:
Your question was regarding the color of caboose handrails/ hardware during the late 1930’s time period and was specific to several cabooses. The letter Jerry Day posted is mostly referring to locomotives and the instruction to use Long’s Black Paint for handrails was I believe for the locomotive. The instruction to use Standard freight car paint for all freight cars and cabooses does not call out specifically for black handrails.
In viewing Grandt’s NG Pictorial Vol. V “Cabooses of the D&RGW” it would appear to me to show handrails, steps and ladders in the same color as the carbody in this time period. The darker color sometimes seen on railings could be from the difference in weathering of a metal vs. wood surface and the handling and soot that grabs and railings would see.
Note on page 33 # 0517 has already been repainted with the white or silver hardware in July 1939...
On several of John Maxwell’s caboose drawings he notes "handrails, steps and ladders white or aluminum after 1940". While this is not a definitive source it is supported by some of the photographic evidence to which I direct you to pages 12 & 13 of the aforementioned book for a 1939 view of # 0500 with the car body hardware in the caboose color and then a year later in 1940 with silver or white hardware.
I have seen photos also of D&RGW cabooses that had both white and silver painted hardware on the same caboose (post 1940) just to keep us modelers on our toes...
Rod
P.S. Excellent layout and website!
Subject Author Posted

Caboose Grab Iron Colors *LINK*

Dave Burroughs April 16, 2007 11:56AM

William Reed April 16, 2007 12:25PM

Nick Gully April 16, 2007 12:40PM

Jerry Day April 16, 2007 01:24PM

Greg B. April 16, 2007 02:07PM

Mike Trent April 16, 2007 08:15PM

Rod Jensen April 16, 2007 10:11PM

Re: Caboose Grab Iron Colors *LINK*

Dave Burroughs April 17, 2007 10:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login