Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A Dumb Question

March 28, 2007 10:29PM
I thought as a Diesel Mech and rebuilder of turbochargers I'd weigh in..... Nick Gully pretty much had it right except for the cooling statement, turbochargers never suffered a cooling problem. some are water cooled most are oil cooled. Pete Willis talked about "turbo superchargers" but i think what he really ment was a turbo compound. Steve Dickey (my brother) can explain those better as they were used in a lot of WWII aircraft. Turbo's use hot exhaust gas to to spin a compressor wheel on a common shaft and are altitude compensating. Early Turbos were not very effecient and turbine housing were too big to make good boost, black smoke from a diesel engine only means one thing, to much fuel for the available air but it takes excessive fuel to a point to make heat, gotta build a fire to make boost. The engine Technology Pete talked about was in the form of Boost compensator's, the injection system would be setup to deliver a small amount of fuel to get the fire going but not to much to make smoke, then as boost started to come up the compensator would allow more fuel. There's a Formula for matching a turbo to an engine, our shop was pretty busy awhile back, construction companies would get mini excavators take them up to Telluride and find out they had no power, we would match up a turbo for the engine get it installed and then they ran great. As long as the turbo was designed for the engine its almost impossible to overboost. The reason for putting a "Wastegate" on a turbo is to control shaft speed, this way you can design a small turbine housing (the hot side) so you make boost right off of idle but at higher rpm if you don't have a way of dumping or bypassing the hot exhaust gas away from the turbine wheel it will overspeed and usually the shaft twists in two.
souped up a Dodge pickup while back, guy wanted to weld the wastegate shut for maximum boost, told him not a good idea, he did it anyway, couple days later going up a hill heard a boom all the cars behind him dissapeared in the smoke, we took the turbo off, took the turbine housing off and the wheel fell out......... costly lesson.
Subject Author Posted

A Dumb Question

Chile John March 28, 2007 12:00PM

Nick Gully March 28, 2007 12:07PM

Pete Willis March 28, 2007 12:25PM

See there fellas......

Tim March 28, 2007 01:34PM

Re: See there fellas......

Herb Kelsey March 28, 2007 04:14PM

Re: See there fellas......

Don Richter March 28, 2007 05:35PM

I like feedwater heaters best..... *NM*

JPK March 28, 2007 07:31PM

Phil March 28, 2007 08:47PM

Yosemite Sam March 28, 2007 09:08PM

DwDickey March 28, 2007 10:29PM

Pete Willis March 29, 2007 08:28AM

Chuck Dressel March 29, 2007 08:56AM

Ed Stabler March 29, 2007 10:35AM

Charlie Irvin March 29, 2007 11:03AM

Re: Turbo-normalized

Scott Turner March 29, 2007 02:28PM

Dan Robirds March 29, 2007 12:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login