Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&S #9 Looking Great

July 21, 2006 09:49AM
Not being critical to anyone here;
No. 74's tender is not particularly a standard C&Sng tender. (Not even sure you could really say there was such a thing). The Cooke tenders were typical to themselves but all mogul tenders were a little smaller than the consolidations' tenders. Most of the 2-8-0s the C&S ran even during the early days were Baldwins with the biggest except being the 6 Rhode Islands (57-62). If you know anything at all about Baldwin tenders you know that while they looked the same, dimensionally, they were all over the board. Information I have indicates all the C&S tanks from 57 to 73 were approx. 17'6"L x 6'8"w x 3'6"h prior to the early '20s when it seems they were extensively rebuilt in a series of steps. But there were exceptions. Numbers 57, 59, 64 and 65 appear in photos to have a long tank. The catch is that the frames were all approx. 21' long give or take a few inches.
I'm not sure of the date but somewhere around 1921 the C&S traded the C&NW for the 3 big Brooks engines that included 74. I don't have information on those tenders but they are clearly bigger than even the 2-8-0 tenders. BTW the rebuild of the tenders appears to have actually reduced the size of the tanks on the Baldwins and RI locomotives length and width wise but increased their overall height. The same thing seems to have happened to the moguls.
So what we have in the case of no. 9 is the smallest tender being replaced with the largest. It doesn't show up so much from the side althought it is noticable to those of us who have burned out all our optic nerves staring blankly at photo after photo but when you look at it end on it's quite overwhelming.
I say again; I am not being critical. I don't have a problem with the combination here at all. Especially since I understand the intent to rebuild the tender for 9 and install it some day. The fact of the matter is the RR had a propensity for swapping tenders around. Witness no. 70 and the CB&Q 537. In 1930 or so the shops swapped out these two tenders and converted 70 to an oil burner. Even the frames were radically different.
And if ya have a problem with 9 being an oil burner it's ok. She was an oil burner on the C&S too. Very early. For about a year.
Derrell
Subject Author Posted

C&S #9 Looking Great

Richard "Bo" Boulware July 19, 2006 04:30PM

Steven Torrico July 19, 2006 04:43PM

Steve Gilbert July 19, 2006 09:20PM

Donald Foster July 20, 2006 02:57PM

Derrell Poole July 21, 2006 09:49AM

Donald Foster July 21, 2006 03:31PM

Richard "Bo" Boulware July 20, 2006 07:14AM

Greg Scholl July 20, 2006 09:19AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.