Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: RGS 0409 Caboose roofs

May 17, 2006 11:56AM
Keith:
Like many things with the RGS the answer depends on what time period you want to represent. I did a search of published 0409 photos by using Don Bergman’s RGS database which I highly recommend. If any of the NG Board list members are proficient in MS Excel I could use some technical help to output the photo reference listing. The RGS database which now includes online photos form DPL and Ft. Lewis collections costs $100 and is available on CD from Don;
BRenegade@hotmail.com">DBRenegade@hotmail.com
OK in reviewing the photos we can see that the silver or white edge treatment of the roof edges (cupola and main roofs) was originally on all side edges then later deleted under the cupola (see RGS Story Vol. XII pages 296-299). This was about the same time period, circa 1940 that the #40 also got the silver treatment with the tender edge beading and steps etc, in silver. Maybe the Ridgway shop painter took a holiday to the D&RGW Salida shops or had some surplus of Goose silver paint. Maybe Herb Kelsey will have an idea on this silver trim and if the top surfaces were also silver/ gray.
Now if you want to go with a silver/ gray roof I think the best evidence of this is a color photo by Donald Duke taken on 3/26/1949 shown in the RGS Story Vol. VII on page 207. Even with the snow on the roof there is definite evidence to my eye that the gray/ silver color which I believe to be painted or colored tar paper extends onto the top of the roof in this photo. Just to throw you one more curve see RGS Story Vol XI page 241 for a view on 8/25/1940 which appears to show the side roof treatment as a added edge board or fascia but no silver color on the ends of the roofs as is seen later. Their appears to be darker roofing material and some spillage from perhaps a tar sealing of the smoke stack.
Hope this helps.
Rod Jensen
Subject Author Posted

Caboose roofs

Keith Hayes May 16, 2006 08:14AM

Re: Caboose roofs

Mike Trent May 16, 2006 03:42PM

Tony Kassin May 16, 2006 09:24PM

Silver and Black Caboose Roofs

Bill M. May 17, 2006 12:33AM

Tony Kassin May 17, 2006 12:36PM

Rod Jensen May 17, 2006 11:56AM

Keith hayes May 18, 2006 02:01PM

Herb Kelsey May 18, 2006 04:47PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.