Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Any Update on C&S #9?

October 10, 2005 06:13PM
"Just out of curiosity (and not to flame anyone) what all was found out when #9 was disassembled? Was the frame bent or cracked? I already have heard about the boiler but what about the running gear? How about the firebox? Is a visual documentary being made of this engine's restoration (ala "Rebirth of a Locomotive #482")? It would seem to be a no-brainer considering the "historical" ramifications of this restoration! Any info would be appreciated! Thanks."
I can attempt to answer this part but I'm not an expert and have been known to be wrong. 9 was in surprisingly good mechanical condition. I talked to Marlin Uhrich several weeks ago and he said, more or less, that when 9 arrived it was missing a lot of parts - it had been raided to fix other locos, etc. However, mechanically it was relatively well taken care of - there weren't a lot of problems. Frame is fine. I believe he put a patch in the bottom of the smokebox and there may have been a patch on the firebox as well but overall the boiler was in good shape. The state boiler had been by that day and their next step was to start putting new flues in.
#30 on the other hand, arrived relatively complete. Since it went to the park in Boulder (almost) straight from service, almost all of the appliances are with it (with the exception of some mismatched parts the railroad swapped out) and the engine is almost totally complete. However, the railroad beat the crap out of it. The frame has cracks, I believe the boiler and firebox both need some work, some of the huge springs that suspend the boiler over the running gear (name?) are mismatched and look like they were installed wrong, etc.
Also, they have built a new cab for 9. It's sitting in a hut in Strasburg and looks *great*.
Anyways, the locomotive is well taken care of and progressing. Dunno when it'll be done, but it should be neat.
Chris Weaver
Subject Author Posted

Any Update on C&S #9?

Steve Stockham October 07, 2005 06:42AM

Apparently nobody cares..... *NM*

Steve Stockham October 10, 2005 07:28AM

WP&Y Coaches for GLR

Stephen Peck October 10, 2005 09:31AM

Dave S. October 10, 2005 11:03AM

Chris Weaver October 10, 2005 06:13PM

Steve Stockham October 11, 2005 04:45PM

Mike Trent October 11, 2005 08:56PM

Chris Weaver October 11, 2005 09:17PM

Mike Trent October 12, 2005 06:53AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.