Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Any NG sidings/indus Antonito to Alamosa?

August 08, 2005 12:25PM
PRSL
Your are right that the products and movement would make a great story. As part of our CATS interpertation we are trying to research this. The trail statistically may be somewhat cold but we can still tell the stories. My first look was at lumber. The lumber maks it look like the first 2 to 4 decadees the San Juan Extension was the worlds larges logging rr. It is during this period that the oil was first discovered in the Navaho Creek area. Appearently it was ozzing out of the ground along the creek. Mr Biggs of lumber fame drilled a well although I don't think he hit anything very early.It was at Coyote Park about 1900. OOps I just reread the article and non of the early wells produced enough to be economical. It wasn't until the Gramps field at Cromo that oil was commercially prodcued here and that was about 1936, at least that is when the pipe line was built to Chama.
I have a book written by a person from the state ag dept I think that outlines all the products from the southwestern corner of Colorado but I have misplaced it. It was published by the state and was in the Library of Congress collection at Miami until pulled from the collection. I really need to find it,
Cattle and sheep also appears to be another only partly outlined product.
Speaking of meat did you know that there is an old walk in ice box in the corner of the Chama Freight section of the station. About 40r 5 feet wide and 8 to 10 feet long with shwlves and the whole works. It muct have been for hlding of meat and other parishables.
All for now
Frank
Subject Author Posted

Any NG sidings/indus Antonito to Alamosa?

PRSL August 07, 2005 09:18AM

Frank Martindell August 08, 2005 07:04AM

Frank Martindell August 08, 2005 07:10AM

PRSL August 08, 2005 08:35AM

Frank Martindell August 08, 2005 12:25PM

Stephen August 10, 2005 01:32AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.