Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chama Steam was a good idea... *PIC*

July 30, 2005 10:11PM
...but as Dale suggests it needs to be sponsored by a group with better managment, financial resources, and marketing savy. But what I hope can be retained is the concept of a home grown, Chama-based event.
Financial resources are important because in my experience in running railfan trips, it's the last minute folks who make the difference between profit and loss. And unless you can stand the risk of absorbing a loss, you can't stand the risk of waiting for those last minute folks to sign up. This is what I think killed Jaybawb.
Another issue I would like to see better handled is the concept of historic authenticity. Doubleheaders are neat, but the fact is historically the DRGW didn't generally run doubleheaders except on three engine trains. And another issue is recreating historically authenic consists. Simply hauling everything that is roadable in the yard up the hill does not create a very convincing consist. Railfans are nitpickers, and this particularly applies to old farts like me who were around when the DRGW was running the place. And it's old farts like me who are most likely to have the bucks to support this kind of expensive operation.
John Craft did a good job of addressing these issues way back when, and he succeeded in not only selling out his first charter, but in selling a second section a week later, and a midweek three engine Cumbres turn. The difference between Craft and Jawbawb is Craft had some credibility with the railfan community.
The following photograph illustrates the effort that Craft and the C&TS folks went to. The helper is cut into the train as was DRGW practice, and the consist may not have any pipe on board but at least it is set up to replicate a pipe train as closely as circumstances allowed. Shortly the Friends may actually have some pipe loads to make the consist even more authentic.
Lets hope Chama Steam can be resurrected under better auspices.
JBW
Subject Author Posted

Chama Steam 2005 Canceled *LINK*

roger hogan July 29, 2005 03:54PM

Not a good thing

roger hogan July 29, 2005 04:06PM

Re: Not a good thing

Philip Walters July 29, 2005 08:21PM

Re: Not a good thing

Dale W. Brown July 30, 2005 12:12PM

Only on Friday's is the problem *NM*

tom casper July 30, 2005 04:55PM

Chama Steam was a good idea... *PIC*

John West July 30, 2005 10:11PM

Re: Chama Steam was a good idea...

Russ Sperry July 31, 2005 01:11AM

Re: Chama Steam 9/1/06

Rod Jensen July 31, 2005 09:23PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.