Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Santa Fe Engine House Archaeological Dig, See

May 22, 2005 05:56PM
Rick:
Thanks for the clarification regarding the true original ownership of the engine house being excavated. Pardon my fauxpax in jumping to the conclusion that the engine house was of narrow gauge origin. Upon checking a map source (Colorado Rail Annual, special Chili Line Issue, 1969), I see that the excavation is indeed of the former AT&SF two stall engine house. Cool stuff none the less, and worthy of note and photographic capture, and thanks for doing a good job in that regard. Apparently the dual gauge roundhouse on Guadalupe St., current location of the Santa Fe Community Bank, is where the teakettles, tenwheelers and "sport models" of yore (the 470 class Mikes used on the Chili Line) spent their downtime. At least the current proprietors have done an excellent job of incorporating the historic roundhouse theme and turntable remnant into the building design, which is more than what can be said for the current plan for the west end of the historic Santa Fe yards. According to my map source, the NG engine house with the two inspection pits I thought I was viewing, was actually located about a half mile north along Guadalupe, about where a Shell Station is today. The early complex in that area included the original two story frame depot, a car shed, coal bin, tool and bunk houses as well as the engine house built by the Texas, Santa Fe and Northern circa 1887. Any trace whatsoever of that stuff is long gone. What I do think is interesting though, is the long cement road median that wanders down Guadalupe St. which marks and covers a good portion of the area where the track was in the center of the street at one time.
Santa Fe Slim.
Subject Author Posted

Santa Fe Engine House Archaeological Dig, See Now!

Santa Fe Slim May 20, 2005 08:12AM

Philip Walters May 20, 2005 09:44AM

Santa Fe Slim May 22, 2005 09:45AM

rick b May 22, 2005 12:29PM

Santa Fe Slim May 22, 2005 05:56PM

Philip Walters May 22, 2005 06:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.