Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Santa Fe Engine House Archaeological Dig, See

May 22, 2005 09:45AM
Phillip:
I don't believe it is standard practice for the Museum of NM to put their Archaeological reports on-line. What they will do however is write a detailed and concise report for submission to the NM State Historical Preservation Office (SHPO). Furthermore, the site will have it's own catalog / site registration number assigned to it and the full documentation will then become the property of the museum and accesable to the public upon request. The most importat thing is to get the site number, then everything else will flow from there. This report undoubtedly will contain exact measurements, photos and descriptions of the features and what was there, as well as a list of any artifacts and interpretation of their use. It will probably take them the better part of the summer to wrap up all the work and produce a professional level document / journal. It may be submitted as a "paper" in certain academic circles or somehow presented to the public at some forum for public information.
Copies of the site report can usually be acquired with a little wrangling and the right contacts. If it is popular enough, they might turn it into a generally available book of sorts, but most likely after the hub-bub is over it will be cataloged like hundreds of other site reports, and take up its place in the state archives. If you have not already guessed, I have worked as an Archaeologist in the past, and have produced such documents myself. And sorry, at this point I don't know the site number, but if you call the Museum of NM, I'm sure they would be pleased to provide that info, knowing that the public is interested in their work. Just mention the excavation at the Santa Fe rail yard and the engine house in particular.
Santa Fe Slim
Subject Author Posted

Santa Fe Engine House Archaeological Dig, See Now!

Santa Fe Slim May 20, 2005 08:12AM

Philip Walters May 20, 2005 09:44AM

Santa Fe Slim May 22, 2005 09:45AM

rick b May 22, 2005 12:29PM

Santa Fe Slim May 22, 2005 05:56PM

Philip Walters May 22, 2005 06:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.