Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Santa Fe Engine House Archaeological Dig, See

May 22, 2005 12:29PM
I went to the site open house yesterday and took a slew of photos, just to make sure there was some documentation that people could get to (assuming the project file goes into the archives as Slim suggests). They are continuing work on the site and will be opening up different areas for the next six weeks. They are just starting to uncover the first depot, which became the freight depot when the Santa Fe built the one you can see now. Note that all the work is being done on the standard gauge Santa Fe side of the Railyard. The inspection pits look like they were for minor repairs, and major work went to Las Vegas (NM or Albuquerque. The site where these pits are will be dug up for underground parking, so whatever we see is all we will get to pass on to other generations.
It seems little will be showing of the D&RGW narrow gauge in the final Railyard plan. Thomasita's Restaurant(D&RGW Depot) is privately owned and not included in the plan. All the rails on that side are gone, so at best there may be some interpretive signs about the narrow gauge, but that's it.
The Archeologists are recording and saving any bits they find of the narrow gauge, so it isn't just forgotten. There just won't be anything to see.
On a cheerier note, I talked with the project coordinator, and he indicated there is a possibility that the foundation for the water tank near the SF Depot may be unearthed again and incorporated into the plan. It was unearthed briefly as a part of the archaeological recording work, but before I could get photos it was covered up again.
Subject Author Posted

Santa Fe Engine House Archaeological Dig, See Now!

Santa Fe Slim May 20, 2005 08:12AM

Philip Walters May 20, 2005 09:44AM

Santa Fe Slim May 22, 2005 09:45AM

rick b May 22, 2005 12:29PM

Santa Fe Slim May 22, 2005 05:56PM

Philip Walters May 22, 2005 06:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.