Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Roaring Camp roster and questions

Ed Kelley
January 10, 2005 11:36AM
Eugene-
As of the moment, #7 is being rebuilt (crack in one of the cylinders). The entire engine set needed to be removed; though I hear the return to steam will should be sometime in the Spring.
As for the Climax being "restored"...this is a web rumor. The locomotive was acquired many years ago from the defunct Carroll Park & Western 48" gauge in Pennsylvania. The boiler was seperated from the frame and I understand mistakingly scrapped or something on its way to Dixon? (or somewhere in Southern CA). I don't know the whole story, but there was a trade for a new boiler to the Sumpter Valley.
Roaring Camp's enginehouse is completely packed; 3 stalls, 4 locomotives ("Kahuku" fits behind in a small alcove in the first stall, behind the #7). This in addition to the rather major task being done on #7 and the rest of the 'stuff' being done will make it some time before work on the Climax starts; I heard plans in the next two years supposedly to get started. The locomotive would also need to be re-gauged back down to 3' (I heard there was some talk of seeing the feasability of gauging UP for the SCBT&P..!).
Yes, the WSL Heisler #3 (RC&BT #2) is still operable (unless something went wrong...) and is also now wearing a 3-chime whistle; a big change after years of hearing that one-note when I was down there. The #6 locomotive is to be called "Daisy" when and if it eventually returns to service. Again...time, money, effort, and more shop space will probably dictate all of this.
There's quite a few Roaring Camp steam guys here, past and present, that will probably be able to tell you a heck of a lot more!
Also, there was a #4 (the missing spot in the roster)..."Waipahu"...an outside-frame Baldwin 0-6-2T (1897) sold in 1988 and now running at Western Village (Westernmura) amusement park in Nikko, Japan along with an ex-Roaring Camp covered car!
-Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

Roaring Camp roster and questions

Eugene January 10, 2005 10:16AM

Ed Kelley January 10, 2005 11:36AM

Jeff Badger January 10, 2005 05:37PM

The Climax *PIC*

Ed Kelley January 10, 2005 06:50PM

And in 1995... *PIC*

Ed Kelley January 10, 2005 07:04PM

Climax #5

Tom Shreve January 11, 2005 09:24AM

Skip Luke January 10, 2005 07:28PM

creeker January 11, 2005 01:56PM

Olaf The Red January 11, 2005 04:53PM

Jeff Badger January 11, 2005 07:09PM

Re: Roaring Camp roster and questions *LINK*

Skip Luke January 12, 2005 05:53PM

John January 12, 2005 08:00PM

Re: Roaring Camp passener car roster

Andy Roth January 12, 2005 12:12PM

Re: Roaring Camp passener car roster

Tom Shreve January 13, 2005 08:14AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.