Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uhrich *PIC*

Ed Kelley
January 08, 2005 09:10PM
I mentioned here before, I have great respect for the work done by the Uhrichs (starting with Virgil Uhrich in the late 40s).
To prevent any misconception to Marlin or anyone else...I don't think ANYONE doubts their capabilities; at least I don't hope so. Bear in mind these guys are capable of some amazing stuff; from rebuilding full-scale locomotives (most recently I believe that everyone here would known about would be the cosmetic resto. on IRCA 111), down to this perfect 5" scale replica of the 463.
I believe the issue here is that CHS isn't exactly what would be called a "trustworthy" organization at this point; and after what they've done; I don't think an expert's advice saying otherwise would stop them from getting that locomotive ready at all costs by May 28th. While the CHS may still prove us wrong yet...they dug a deep mess for not only the future of the area and the former GLR, but also for Railstar, and themselves.
Do they have money? Yes.
Do they have a competent crew rebuilding the locomotive(s)? Yes!
Couldn't be any better on this aspect.
But do they have time?
Not much.
The time factor and the May 28th date sure makes for a close call. Marlin Uhrich was quoted I believe as 2 years for the job. This sounds reasonable. (However, regardless, this locomotive has been proven to not suit the carrying capacity of the Georgetown Loop, and its age makes it more suited if operable as a museum demonstration engine than on such a mountainous railroad.)
In short: I'm simply afraid CHS will stand in the way of allowing the crew at Uhrichs to finish the job to their extent, with such a close deadline and such a basket case of a locomotive. I obviously can't speak for either organization...but when the #9 isn't ready for May 28th...what will happen?! It seems a MUST that steam must be on the railroad by that date. This is certainly a really interesting clause I'd like to learn more about.
If they only hadn't put Railstar in the mess of having to meet steam for May...AND the fact that they already advertised there WOULD be steam (and the government clause apparently dictates so)...a first season of diesel would have probably been just fine...and whatever steam would be able to be there in time (underpowered or not).
-Ed Kelley
And for a true masterpiece from the Uhrich shops:
Subject Author Posted

Uhrich *PIC*

Ed Kelley January 08, 2005 09:10PM

Beautiful

Don Richter January 09, 2005 09:58AM

Re: Beautiful *PIC*

Ed Kelley January 09, 2005 10:46AM

Re: Beautiful

Earl January 09, 2005 01:03PM

Re: Beautiful

Ed Kelley January 09, 2005 02:12PM

(Message Deleted by Poster)

Alan January 09, 2005 02:58PM

Re: East Tincup *PIC*

Ed Kelley January 09, 2005 06:26PM

Re: Uhrich

Roger Mitchell January 09, 2005 10:14AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.