Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sumpter Lumber Co. question

December 18, 2004 05:27PM
PRSL, I phoned both of my freinds that I spoke of. Neither had heard of Shaw Lbr. Co. One of them said he might get around to checking the Baker County records for mention of it. He wondered if the bit that was quoted was all that was mentioned in the Timberman regarding Stoddard?
What all 3 of us did think of was the Bonanza mine which we've seen on maps as being east of Greenhorn and N. of Tipton. I know nothing of this mine, but as one of my freinds pointed out, some of the larger mining operations in the area had their own small sawmills in the early days for cutting timbers to use in the mines. The "Bonanza Road" is this case may refer to a literal road rathern than rr. though a road heading in the direction of the Bonanza mine might have been somewhere between Whitney and Tipton and a mill in that area would not be too far from the SVRy or any number of logging lines that spider web that area.
Both of my freinds concur that Sumpter Lbr. co. was indeed the mill on the end of the tail track to the east of Sumpter. It is the same mill that I mentioned as Sumpter Land and Timber Co. which my freind says changed hands about 3 times, finally becomming a Stoddard property. He said he had seen a photo of Stoddard #5 moving cars at this mill, which implies that there was logging trackage out of the mill after Stoddard operated it. One freind thinks the mill burned around 1933, and the other 1938 or a bit later. My freind also mentioned that in addition to the Stoddard mill in Baker, the one I mentioned in Boulder Gorge and the one in Sumpter, that Stoddard also operated a mill on Clear Crk. starting in 1897 which is to the S. generally speaking of McEwen up past the end of Hudspeth Rd. This had connection to the SVRy. I was told that it had a tramway, which is what someone had deemed the appropiate term for a mule powered light line from the mill down to the SVRy main, if I have the story right.
The mill in Boulder Gorge was originally McMurtran and Shockley. No idea who they were or dates. I think it is interesting that there is a photo of stock cars stored on the spur to the mill, which implies the track remained across the river after the mill was no longer in use. There was a siding on the SVRy main just below the bridge to this site. You can still see where the siding was between a USFS parking lot and the highway. It seemed odd to me that there would be a siding at this location were it not for the adjacent mill as Thompson is only a couple more miles down country and there were one or more sidings there and perhaps a storage spur. Mason siding was also only a mile or 2 up country from this location. Mason is where Stoddards Black Mtn. logging line tied in to the SVRy.
Interesting stuff to piece together!
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter Lumber Co. question

PRSL December 18, 2004 08:53AM

j.b.bane December 18, 2004 09:34AM

j.b.bane December 18, 2004 05:27PM

Re: Sumpter Lumber Co. question *PIC*

steve thompson December 18, 2004 07:27PM

j.b.bane December 19, 2004 09:38AM

PRSL December 19, 2004 01:23PM

RBrinton December 19, 2004 02:15PM

j.b.bane December 20, 2004 02:12PM

steve thompson December 20, 2004 03:25PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.