Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sumpter Lumber Co. question

December 18, 2004 09:34AM
I do not have the answer to your question. I may see someone tommorrow who does not do internet, but is one most knowlegeable folks on the SVRy. He has researched some of the more obscure aspects. SV Cartoad who follows this board also might know as he is also one of the most knowledgeable folks out there on this. I may also see him tommorrow. I will print this off and take it with me to make some inquiries if I can find the time.
The fellow I want to talk to on this, showed me a photo last Spring that was taken looking over the top of the Boulder Gorge water tank. It showed some stock cars on the other side of the Powder River, just down stream. My son and I found a way to get to that area across the river and sure enough there had been a grade(s) over there and 2 locations where there had been a bridge. The mainline is on the opposite side of the river in this area (same side as the highway)and there was a long siding just below this area on the main. On the flat across the river, I was told that there may have been a sawmill at one time as the person that showed me the photo said he had seen reference to Stoddard buying a mill in that area, and also to "mill bridge washing out" and it gave the aproximate miles out of Baker which seemed to corespond. Pure speculation, but this may be the mill in question. It also makes sense in that Stoddard logged a lot of country up California Gulch which is near this area. Also from info from the same individual, he told me that there was once a Sumpter Land and Timber Co. that operated a mill at Sumtper which was bought out by Stoddard. It had at least one logging engine and some trackage. This would be the mill that was at the end of the tailtrack up across main street.
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter Lumber Co. question

PRSL December 18, 2004 08:53AM

j.b.bane December 18, 2004 09:34AM

j.b.bane December 18, 2004 05:27PM

Re: Sumpter Lumber Co. question *PIC*

steve thompson December 18, 2004 07:27PM

j.b.bane December 19, 2004 09:38AM

PRSL December 19, 2004 01:23PM

RBrinton December 19, 2004 02:15PM

j.b.bane December 20, 2004 02:12PM

steve thompson December 20, 2004 03:25PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.