Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extra order and secret handshakes

April 22, 2001 11:44AM
I noticed a lot of star number plates on Hawaiian engines ,and nearly all of those were extra order boilers from Baldwin .Hawaii has water that is very hard on boilers . I also noticed that this kind of front plate appeared on locomotives that changed hands at least once ,gaining new number in the process . NCNG #5 is an example of this . Number plates got lost and stolen then as now ,and this design may have been offered as an aftermarket item by Baldwin or one of its suppliers or contractors . As far as the Masonic connection ,I am skeptical .I know little about the Scottish Rite (I ought to become a member,it might help my art biz!), but know their symbols are the "G" over the calipers(That did appear on early locomotives) and the crescent and candlesticks may have also been symbols of the Masons or other fraternal orders. I would note that the "star" plates only appeared on Baldwins ,to the best of my knowledge . I would disagree with Earl on this note : I was able to examine this design plate closely a couple of times ,and noted that the star was incorporated in the casting ,not affixed as an afterthought in brass or white lead . Earl may have been referring to the big stars painted on the smokebox fronts of D&RG locomotives early in the last century . In that case , he is correct.
Subject Author Posted

Several Unrelated Questions.

Joel King April 20, 2001 10:06PM

Re: Several Unrelated Questions.

Earl Knoob April 21, 2001 07:35AM

Bruce R. Pier April 21, 2001 06:21PM

Tom Shreve April 21, 2001 08:52PM

jim April 22, 2001 12:08PM

Starred Smokebox Front

K Brand April 21, 2001 07:13PM

Extra order and secret handshakes

El Coke April 22, 2001 11:44AM

Thanks all for the answers- JPK *NM*

Joel King April 22, 2001 10:29PM

Cabooses and a technical apology

El Coke April 23, 2001 07:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.