Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: GLR Question

dan
June 04, 2004 02:02PM
I don't think there is any one simple answer as to why communities do not want tourist trains in town. I understand at the beginning of the SVR Restoration the city of Sumpter wanted nothing to do with the railroad and said no to having our headquarters and switching yards there.
Now the SVRR goes from McEwen, our headquarters, to Sumpter, and when we don't go due to extreme fire season, they admit a lose in revenue, and hope that we will soon return.
With Sumpter I used to think it was because there are a lot of retirees and they don't want a noisy invironment. That seems to have changed now and we will soon extend the track to our new depot in Sumpter. I'm sure there will always be those who will complain about the whistle and the train's presence, however they now allow ATVs to roam the streets freely within Sumpter. And we all know some of those 2 cycle ATVs can be noisy (and dangerous).
Interestingly, when the ATVs cross Mill St. (the main state highway through Sumpter) the Sheriff may be there to give them tickets unless they are licensed drivers and their ATV is licensed. Just that happened last weekend. A lot of tickets were issued.
dan
Subject Author Posted

GLR Question

Andy Roth June 04, 2004 08:20AM

Shane Schabow June 04, 2004 10:19AM

Stephen Peck June 04, 2004 10:59AM

Tim Schreiner June 04, 2004 11:50AM

dan June 04, 2004 02:02PM

Re: GLR Question - Tim Schreiner contact me off li

Ken June 04, 2004 02:51PM

Chile John June 05, 2004 08:37AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.