Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident) thumbs up

September 18, 2021 09:58PM avatar
Stephenson Valve Gear..jpg

I'm not Dave, but here goes nothing.

The above drawing is basic Stephenson Valve Gear.

Essentially, there are four eccentrics (cams) mounted on the main driver axle. Two eccentrics control the valve motion on each side. One is known as the "forward eccentric" and the other is the "backward eccentric". Wrapping around the eccentrics is the eccentric strap. It is in two pieces so it can be removed and installed over the eccentric cams. The front of the eccentric straps are the eccentric rods (sometimes called "eccentric arms") that connect to the link. The link is suspended from the hanger. When the locomotive is moved from forward to reverse, the link is moved up, while the link block stays stationary. The block is connected through rocker arms to the valve stem. When the link is in the bottom position (and the block is in the top of the link), virtually all the movement done by the link is created by the eccentric rod, strap and cam attached to the top of the link. As this is the position for forward motion, this portion is called the "forward eccentric" parts. The eccentric cam, strap and rod attached to the bottom of the link provide the motion for backward movement, so they are the "backward eccentric" parts.

As mentioned above, the eccentric straps are in two pieces so that they can be installed around the cams, the two halfs are held together by fitted (tapered) bolts. The holes in the two halfs of the strap are also tapered to make sure the bolt has a good, tight fit. The bolt is double-nutted with a cotter pin through the bolt to keep everything in place.

Appearently, the cotter went missing, and the nuts came loose, the the strap began to open up. This induced lost motion into the valve timing events making 168 run lame ("out of time"), On the way back to Chama running light, the nuts came off completely, the strap opened up and it fell off the bottom of the cam. The back half of the strap, then turned upside down and caught on the ties, bending the lower bolt and generally making a mess of things.

Not mentioned, is when the reverse lever is moved back toward center, both forward and reverse eccentrics combine to make the motion for the valve timing, shortening the valve stroke and cutting off of the steam admission. Also when in full forward or reverse motion, the opposite direction eccentric does provide a small amount of motion to the valve events, which further complicates valve setting.

When I ran a vacation relief gig on the LK&P is Hawaii in the 1980's I had the eccentric strap come apart on one engine. I noticed it starting to go lame, then came to a down hill portion and let her drift. Coming out of the sag, I hooked up the Johnson Bar, opened the throttle and one side of the engine was completely dead. I quickly stopped and poked my head in between the frames and found one of the straps opened up, and the nuts missing. Luckilly, the valve gear was being held up by the brake rigging and nothing fell to the ground. Also, this managed to happen right next to the shop, where Rich Braden and this gang of worthies came to the rescue. A two new nuts and a cotter pin were installed and I was back underway in a few minutes.
Subject Author Posted

“Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident) Attachments

Dave Peterson September 17, 2021 02:18PM

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident) Attachments

Dave Peterson September 17, 2021 04:07PM

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident)

spieser September 17, 2021 05:44PM

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident) Attachments

Dave Peterson September 17, 2021 06:02PM

Earl September 18, 2021 12:02AM

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident)

nscaler2 September 17, 2021 05:49PM

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident) thumbs up

Stewart Rhine September 17, 2021 07:33PM

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident) thumbs up Attachments

Dave Peterson September 18, 2021 09:46AM

Re: “Son, It was your idea to be a railroader…” (the inside the cab story of #168’s incident) thumbs up Attachments

Dave Peterson September 18, 2021 11:34AM

Dave Peterson September 18, 2021 03:01PM

Dave Peterson September 18, 2021 06:10PM

Samart September 18, 2021 09:06PM

Earl September 18, 2021 09:58PM

Samart September 18, 2021 10:14PM

Dave Peterson September 18, 2021 11:30PM

James September 19, 2021 02:04AM

Glenn Butcher September 19, 2021 09:07AM

Jimr260 September 19, 2021 03:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login