Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems at Canon City as well?

April 21, 2004 04:29PM
I was surprised to find the following posted at the Altamond Press news line:
Railroad lease debate continues
Drawing more than 20 Royal Gorge Route employees and vocal support from many city business leaders Monday at the Cañon City, Colorado council had little apparent effect on the stalled negotiations between the city and the railroad.
Sandwiching four hours of other business, supporters of the railroad began and ended the meeting with open pleas for the city to renew the railroad's lease of the old Santa Fe Depot building.
And though railroad part-owner Mark Greksa made a sobbing speech to the council members saying he had been misrepresented and asking for a chance to continue their partnership, councilman Dennis Wied called his words a "crock."
Following the Apr05 city council meeting, the city (which owns the depot building and grounds) opted to make renewal of the depot lease conditional with the renegotiations of aerial rights above the train tracks through the gorge.
The original five-year lease to the railroad ran out in November 2003, but because of what Greksa called a "clerical error," the company did not submit a request for renewal until February.
At the Apr05 meeting, Royal Gorge Bridge Company President Mark Mitchell and General Manager Mike Bandera said Greksa had used the railroad's control to block a planned ESPN base-jumping event that would have taken place from the bridge and was "strong-arming" the city by demanding approval of its depot lease before assenting to the event.
Greksa, who was not present at the earlier meeting, said Monday he has never denied a request for a stunt from the bridge, and asked to meet last fall with the city and Bandera to iron out issues.
"Admittedly, I drug my feet a little for the Go-Fast Games last year, but that was because we had been shut down on Jun16 after the suicide jumper," he said. "We had never had a problem before taking out injured people, rafters, dead bodies — but we were told to shut down by the Cañon City Police Department for the suicide, and we had to refund all of that day's tickets."
The railroad representative said when Bandera contacted him Mar29 regarding the ESPN event, he immediately granted permission.
"I saw the beauty of an ESPN event and what it could mean to the city and the railroad," he said. "I never said no to that."
Greksa said he went on vacation Apr01 and was notified by City Attorney John Havens the event had been canceled because of budget issues at the network.
Speaking to Bandera, Greksa said, "You knew I was out of town until the 12th. I saw the video of the council meeting when I got back, and I couldn't believe it. I thought you were a friend."
Council members Dan Brixey, Frank Jaquez and Catherine Mortensen each expressed a willingness to work with the railroad on the lease, but only if Greksa would first negotiate changes to the airspace rights.
Greksa initially appeared willing to accept the council's demands, but after leaving the podium, returned to say that he would negotiate airspace but only after the renewal of the depot lease.
"I don't believe you would do this to a bar owner or a restaurant owner in town," he said. "I mean, what are you guys going to ask for next?" - Brian Taylor, The Cañon City Daily Record, courtesy Larry W. Grant
Subject Author Posted

Georgetown loop in the Denver Post *LINK*

Don Richter April 19, 2004 08:49AM

Re: Georgetown loop in the Denver Post

Steve Peck April 19, 2004 10:01AM

Re: Georgetown loop in the Denver Post

Dale Brown April 20, 2004 12:59PM

Georgetown loop in 9News *LINK*

Steve Peck April 19, 2004 12:44PM

Re: Georgetown loop in 9News

Herb Kelsey April 19, 2004 07:01PM

Re: Georgetown loop in 9News

Les Clark April 19, 2004 07:44PM

Problems at Canon City as well?

John West April 21, 2004 04:29PM

'Splain Somethin'

Herb Kelsey April 22, 2004 02:12PM

Re: 'Splain Somethin'

Rick Steele April 22, 2004 03:35PM

Re: 'Splain Somethin'

Dick April 22, 2004 03:49PM

Thanks Rick!

Herb Kelsey April 22, 2004 10:39PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.