Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: EBT - Rockhill yard from engine 14

June 22, 2020 09:41AM avatar
Excessive post-processing? Nah, no such thing. As I've pointed out before, ALL digital images are processed - they have to be, since what comes out of the most common Bayer sensor looks nothing like a photo - and if you're shooting raw, it ain't "post", it's simply processing. As to the "excessive" part, that's a matter of taste and is completely subjective. If it's done poorly, it's not because it's "excessive processing" it's because it's poorly done processing. I don't care for over-the-top saturation and contrast either, but what I, or you, consider over-the-top would most likely differ. I don't care for flat, washed out images either and I see just as many of those as I do the other end of the spectrum.

Where we can certainly agree is that it really isn't about digital v film. I can make scanned film look very much like over-blown digital images, and digital look very (subjectively) "film-like". And given the wide range of film types, well, what film are we referencing? I've shot my fair share of landscapes with Fuji Velvia 50, and believe me - straight out of the camera and sitting on the light table, many would consider them over-the-top in both contrast and saturation. Contrast and saturation are what Velvia is all about. winking smiley There are films that are eye-bleeding sharp, films that are inherently soft and so on and so on.

Climbing down from virtual soapbox...

Scott
Subject Author Posted

EBT - Rockhill yard from engine 14 Attachments

Stewart Rhine June 21, 2020 03:51PM

SR_Krause June 21, 2020 05:20PM

Wayne Hoskin June 21, 2020 06:46PM

Re: In Defence of Digital . . .

Russo Loco June 21, 2020 08:35PM

Re: Narrow Gauge photos on film vs digital

Johnson Barr June 21, 2020 08:42PM

Re: Narrow Gauge photos on film vs digital - K64

Stewart Rhine June 22, 2020 05:03AM

Scott Turner June 22, 2020 09:41AM

Re: In Defense of Digital (cont.)

Russo Loco June 22, 2020 04:58PM

Greg Scholl June 22, 2020 08:23AM

Scott Turner June 22, 2020 09:06AM

Kelly Anderson June 22, 2020 09:33AM

Stewart Rhine June 22, 2020 03:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login