Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: #70

January 23, 2004 04:52PM
Mike,
I don't doubt the 70/oil conversion was a fuel/cost saving experiment. Seems to me the engine was restricted to the Clear Creek lines afterward because of fuel capacity and availablity en route on the old South Park main line.
I also can't say whether the files Hol W. looked thru were of work performed strickly at the new Joint Shops, and if they are complete? The other question is, was the C&S still doing some repairs at their 7th Street Shop? And was the 70 work done there?
Being early during the depression and most of the work of that depth should have done at the Joint Shops, it would suprise me to see that 70 work done at 7th Sts. Also, I don't know when all locomotive work was stopped at 7th sts Shop, and as most of the older folks know (and that includes Hol W.), Burlington Motorways did their truck repairs in the old 7th sts shops for a number of years.
Although, the Blacksmith Shop at the east end of the buiding was still held open for locomotive work until the end of steam. Most of that work being the annealing draw and safety bars in the annealing furnace during inspections.
As I am still in the sell our present house/rehabing an old farm house/so can't move to new abode mode, (which has turned into the move from hell!) I cannot get the info on the 70 as it's STILL in storage wit many other items.
But, the info is not indepth. It came from the annual reports from the Director of Bureau of Locomotive Inspection to the ICC that basicly listed incidents by railroad, locomotive number, date, location, brief description and killed or injured numbers.
If memory serves me right, it took place in Golden, earliy thirties, with only injuries, crown sheet may have just "bagged" and did not actually 'drop'. So, the boiler did not go "ballistic".
This 70 question has ocurred before and I apoligize for not following thru and looked this up before now. Like 40 + years ago. I believe we asked Mickey Hansen about this but he didn't recall anything specific except the 70 running on oil. All I have is the ICC info to go on.
So, it may be awhile before I can retrieve the info.
For those that are interested, the FRA (or check DOT) has some older locomotive accident reports on their web site. These listed reports are only a few of many. These are only the reports that were published and sent to various railroads as information using the 'Fear of God' method of education. Too bad the FRA doesn't have many of the old files anymore.
Chris
Subject Author Posted

Colorado & Southern RY.

Rodger Polley January 19, 2004 11:13PM

Colorado & Southern Motive Power.

Mike Trent January 20, 2004 06:49AM

Re: Colorado & Southern Motive Power.

chris ahrens January 21, 2004 06:46PM

Mike Trent January 21, 2004 07:28PM

Re:C^S Oil burners

Rick Steele January 22, 2004 08:28AM

chris ahrens January 23, 2004 04:52PM

Mike Trent January 23, 2004 05:08PM

More on #70

Mike Trent January 26, 2004 08:05PM

Re: Colorado & Southern Motive Power.

Mike Trent January 23, 2004 07:23PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.