August 16, 2018 11:26AM
et&wnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot, but going to France, the soldiers
> wouldn't have steel helmets and European-style
> side caps (they only be wearing the 'smokey bear'
> style campaign hats). Coming back from
> France would be more correct.

Complicated situation.....so hopefully, you can bear with some minor historical inaccuracies.

The re-enactors had been simulating a camp over in France, doing arms and tactics demonstrations as well as conducting living history discussions all day with visitors at Alna Center. That location is great spot for this sort of thing, because it is a rural and secluded, with no power lines, paved roads or other modern clutter nearby. I think that the average person who visited this camp learned quite a lot from these folks, and probably didn't notice the minor inaccuracies.

In the evening, the RR planned to run a special train to bring photographers to the site for a photo shoot. Unfortunately, the fellow who normally plans and coordinates these events had to leave earlier in the day due to a prior commit. We also had a weather situation in the late afternoon which seriously impacted attendance. Just before the train left, I was asked if I would help coordinate the shoot and I was happy to do so.

My goal was to arrange some scenes that people could photograph, which would give them the general feel of the encampment.....but also to incorporate the railroad, if possible. Obviously, doing the latter meant that for the shoot at least, we could not be simulating an encampment in France. So my plan was to simulate a training encampment in Maine, with an eventual departure to join the AEF. The scenario of a Maine Guard Unit training on home turf, and then departing on a 2-foot line to make connections that would take them to NYC was a reasonably realistic scenario. Certainly, back in 1917, the troops would not likely have boarded a train state-side wearing steel battle helmets and gas masks, or carrying automatic weapons like the B-A-R. They were carrying all of that stuff because they didn't know the plan in advance and had prepared for combat demos, not for riding a train. We had multiple scenes to shoot and we were burning daylight (and dodging rain showers), so there was not a lot of time for pre-shot briefings, historical accuracy discussions and costume changes. The re-enactors do indeed have the smokey hats and proper uniforms, and that is what they wore during last-year's shoot.

Here is my photo album from this shoot. Some folks may have gotten better stuff, but my guess is that if they came away with any of these shots, they probably felt their evening was well-spent.

The Great War comes to the WW&F

/Kevin Madore
Subject Author Posted

Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War Attachments

Stewart Rhine August 16, 2018 05:44AM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War

et&wnc August 16, 2018 08:52AM

jcpatten August 16, 2018 10:03AM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War - Wounded Soldier Attachments

Stewart Rhine August 16, 2018 10:21AM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War - Front Lines. Attachments

Stewart Rhine August 16, 2018 10:25AM

KevinM August 16, 2018 11:26AM

Prowordsmith August 16, 2018 03:37PM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War - Thank you Kevin.

Stewart Rhine August 16, 2018 04:20PM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War . . . thumbs upthumbs up

Russo Loco September 02, 2018 11:41PM

nedsn3 August 16, 2018 10:50AM

et&wnc August 16, 2018 11:25AM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War - BAR rifle in action. Attachments

Stewart Rhine August 16, 2018 12:49PM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War - BAR rifle in action.

gato August 16, 2018 01:09PM

KevinM August 16, 2018 01:24PM

Prowordsmith August 16, 2018 03:42PM

KevinM August 16, 2018 04:01PM

Re: Postcard From Maine 21, The Great War - BAR rifle action photo.

Stewart Rhine August 16, 2018 04:24PM

Russo Loco September 02, 2018 11:39PM

Stewart Rhine September 03, 2018 02:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login