Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Cooking on the Banjo" *LINK*

August 15, 2003 09:56AM
I have heard of other instances of cooking in the firebox; though the others you mentioned are new to me.
Chinese QJ class locomotives had a box near the firebox and cab. There was some question about what they were for, but I think the concensus was that they were used for heating meals.
My dad, an old oilfield hand (later petroleum engineer), talked about heating coffee and food on the engine of the car while out in the field. He had a can of beans explode one time when he did that!
Brad Smith's video of stationary steam engines in the Gulf Coast area of the US showed the plant engineer heating up coffee and food on top of the mill's stationary engine.
My dad also told me about memories back when drilling rigs were steam powered. One time, they had worked all night on a well, trying to keep it from blowing. When dawn broke, my dad took a dive in the pit used as feedwater for the rig's boilers. This greatly upset the engineer, since he stirred up the sediments!
He also talked about lying in the crew bunk at night, tracking the progress of the rig from the sounds of the various steam engines. The family of a former boss at a computer store had a family-owned sugar mill once ran by steam engines; he said you could tell how much cane was being ground by the sound of the plant's steam engine.
Way off topic, but more memories from the the era of steam.
-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a
Subject Author Posted

Cooking with a steam engine *LINK* *PIC*

Jussi Tepponen August 15, 2003 02:13AM

Re: Cooking with a steam engine

Gavin Hamilton August 15, 2003 05:08AM

"Cooking on the Banjo" *LINK*

James Hefner August 15, 2003 09:56AM

Re: "Cooking on the Banjo"

John Hillier August 15, 2003 12:26PM

Re: "Cooking on the Banjo"

Herb Kelsey August 15, 2003 01:03PM

Pat August 15, 2003 01:23PM

Boris Serena August 18, 2003 08:28AM

Gavin Hamilton August 18, 2003 12:20PM

Greg Scholl August 18, 2003 05:15PM

Tom Moungovan August 18, 2003 10:25PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.