Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 484, WB C&T 215 Whiplash

June 22, 2017 02:54PM
Earl you are correct. Much of the dubbed stuff sounds crappy, and most is not the right railroads. The stuff we did on the Rayonier, Canadian, DM&IR, etc had authentic audio done when the films were shot. Not 100% matches cause sometimes there was no audio done on a scene, and other times the guy had great audio at night. But in one of the Canadian shows, I matched perfectly about 50% of the show, and the other 50% I used sounds at similar speeds with same class engines. When I say we had 50% exact, the audio was for the film we were watching. In one scene at Portage La Prairie, a pair of 2400 series 4-6-2's is switching some cars for its freight and each engine whistled 4 times as it headed back to the train. I matched that perfectly with the film and audio. In another scene a CPR Royal Hudson was running out its last year in freight service. The audio was about 2-3 minutes long, but the film clip crossing the CN diamond was about 30 seconds. So I put in a freeze frame of the engine before we saw the film, and ran extra audio under it, to hear the whistle, and then dissolve into the film with the audio matched. It was fun stuff to work with. I bought all those reels from Elwin Purington cause he realized how big of a job it would be to work on it. I had it all transfered to DAT. Jim Gunning worked on "Sweeting" about an hour or more CP AND CN audio from those films, but we never did anything with the cd for some reason. Maybe it was a matter of doing the notes, I don't remember.
As for NG audio, the old Rio Grande would be the easiest to dub the sound since most of the stuff is still running. It would be easy to fake it with new audio, but I have no idea what those whistles sounded like in the films, or other scenes. To me the vintage stuff is all about the images. Far more black and white stills, and color slides were taken than films back in those days, so seeing the stuff moving is special. To me the audio is secondary. My dad used to say "We watched the stuff on our home projector and were happy to watch them". Nobody worried about sound, but enjoyed seeing the stuff moving.
I have heard some folks complain about dubbed audio on diesels as well. Wrong engines and horns and so forth. Nothing is perfect I guess.
Greg
Subject Author Posted

484, WB C&T 215 Whiplash

Sam Seiber June 20, 2017 09:16PM

Re: 484 - back to the Future II?

Russo Loco June 21, 2017 11:10AM

Re: 484 - back to the Future II?

Greg Scholl June 21, 2017 02:07PM

Greg Scholl June 21, 2017 02:10PM

Earl June 22, 2017 08:37AM

Greg Scholl June 22, 2017 02:54PM

jim pallow June 22, 2017 06:09PM

dougvv July 04, 2017 05:01PM

Re: Whistles, Sound & Action in 'Danger Lights' . . . eye rolling smiley

Russo Loco June 22, 2017 05:17PM

nedsn3 July 06, 2017 04:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login