Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Making Donations

January 24, 2017 11:07AM avatar
I have a collection of non-RR stuff that gets me calls and emails from various museums every few months or so. You wouldn't believe the things they say, some actually demanding me to donate my entire collection to them. The last time that happened, my response ended with, "...and the horse you rode in on."
Museums sell and trade stuff all the time. Yes, even government ones. I've done trades with museums that you'd never think would do so.
As for donating money, I only do it anonymously now. I am sick to death of my donations being wasted to pay for constant mailers to me asking for more money (the worst so far is the National Museum of the US Army, I get stuff from them every week and they've long since spent every penny I gave them and then some, asking for more).
I was at a reasonably well-known RR museum in the Southwest last week and I asked if I could donate what little I had in my wallet. I was told I had to fill out a card so they could get my info. I told the volunteer lady at the depot that I didn't want mailings and for them to use my money for the collection or operations. Nope, she said, they had to have all my info to track where the $ came from. I calmly put my wallet away and said, "I'm sorry, but I will only donate anonymously these days." She said she understood and they didn't get a penny other than a couple of things I bought from their gift shop.
x(
I do get tired of the guilt trip you get at museums these days. I get that they have to do the hard sell, but as I told one of them that kept following me in the museum (it was a very light day for them), I simply don't make enough money to join every museum or donate to every single place I walk into.

-Lee

Flickr photo set of my On30 layout

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 11:09AM by et&wnc.
Subject Author Posted

Making Donations

Greg Scholl January 23, 2017 06:57PM

et&wnc January 24, 2017 11:07AM

bonefish January 24, 2017 01:05PM

RDannemann January 24, 2017 01:58PM

et&wnc January 24, 2017 02:31PM

John Bush January 24, 2017 05:09PM

dougvv January 24, 2017 05:42PM

Stewart Rhine January 25, 2017 01:28PM

hank January 26, 2017 08:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login